The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from WA state with stock question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USSOKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from WA state with stock question
    Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 4:09pm
I've collected Colts and S&W's and a few Winchesters now and then. Recently purchased a QMC Carbine which appears to be original except for the stock which is a Winchester I-cut. Hand guard is unmarked. Barrel is Rock-ola with a 3/43 date with proof mark. Serial # is 1560XXX. Would this gun originally have had a I-cut high wood or oval-cut high wood stock? Any ideas on how it ended up with a Winchester stock? How difficult would it be to find the correct stock for this? Thanks!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 4:30pm
First are you sure it is a Winchester stock? The HG does appear to be a Win Bullnose.
Is there any crossed cannons on the stock?

I would expect to see a RMC in slingwell highwood I cut stock.  It should also have the large QHMC CC.

Barrel date is dead on.

More pictures please!
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 4:39pm
Welcome to the forums and as New2brass stated, "More pictures please!"
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 5:57pm
Hi and welcome to the Carbine Collectors Forum from New Mexico!

My QHMC's serial number is also 1560XXX. Same barrel too. It's the best shooting carbine in my collection. Good luck with yours. It may be a challenge to find a Type 1 QHMC stock that's affordable. But you have a lot to bargain with having the Type 1 Winchester stock.

Ditto on "More Pictures"!
JackP
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 7:25pm
Welcome, we're practically neighbors. Am 4 miles up Coal Creek
USSOKC View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USSOKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 9:31pm
thanks for the welcome to all
Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2018 at 2:28am
Welcome. My cousin and his wife live in Cathlamet.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2018 at 7:27am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

First are you sure it is a Winchester stock? The HG does appear to be a Win Bullnose.
Is there any crossed cannons on the stock?

I would expect to see a RMC in slingwell highwood I cut stock.  It should also have the large QHMC CC.

Barrel date is dead on.

More pictures please!

If you go to his original post on the same subject you'll see two other pictures that absolutely confirm it as a WRA stock. I thought I answered his question, then saw this thread (second one) and wondered what the hey, then went back and noticed his first post...early morning coffee isn't always what it's cracked up to be!
USSOKC View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote USSOKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2018 at 12:24pm
sorry about the confusion having the same thing on two different posts, but for some reason it wouldn't let me post more pics here, so i continued it on the parts section.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 17 2018 at 12:46pm
No problem with different posts, I must have missed the other at time of posting.

What trouble are you having posting multiple pictures? I do know sometimes the picture takes too much space, but if you just keep inserting they should display in final post. Can always do multiple posts.

One trick I use is after the picture is in post I used the resize/drag square at corner of picture and just drag it out of the way or make it small. It does not affect the posting size.

Nice stock by the way!
zenfly View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 18 2018 at 8:22am

What A Country, Inc.
949-770-8881
whatacountry.com

Send what you want on their site contact form.. Damon replied fast to me with #1 email "we'll look" then one day later #2 email was a link to the ones they found and posted at very reasonable prices.

From Damon "We listed two Inland low-woods, they look nice, neither has cross-cannon
cartouches though."

They can be viewed with the following links:

https://whatacountry.com/m1-carbine-inland-low-wood-stock-S525.aspx

https://whatacountry.com/m1-carbine-inland-low-wood-stock-S526.aspx
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
 Post Reply Post Reply