Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early AO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early AO
    Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 11:50am
I have ran across an OLD AO bearing SN 49XX. I have not found a resource page for these early guns. It's certainly older than 2005. It is not "current" production. Can someone point me to the proper resource pages for the older AO's.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 7:10pm

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_kahr.html

I believe they started the carbine in 2004.

Being so new I do not think any research was done on serial numbers.

Good news is they are still in business if you were looking for production date
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 8:36pm
This gun is much older with a 4-digit SN, 49XX. I need to go get some pictures so we can figure this out. It IS NOT a carbine of recent production. This carbine belonged to my brother and his BIL wanted to buy it back. The BIL had sold the gun to my brother some 40-years ago. My brother passed away a couple of years ago and I wanted to run-down that particular gun to see what he had. It is certainly older than 2004...much older.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 8:47pm
Is it a commercial carbine?
Or maybe a true Auto Ordnance carbine receiver made for IBM?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 9:26pm
It being stamped Auto Ordnance, I presume it to be commercial. The receiver appears to be cast. I just need to go back and get some pictures and more details. I was in the process of purchasing another carbine from the owner and did not make the observations I should have. This is the carbine that once belonged to my brother and I can go inspect it again anytime. This time, I will pay closer attention to details. When I saw it was rolled AUTO ORDNANCE, I knew there was posted information on AO. I just did not recall that current information only dates back to 2004-or-so. I figured the name and SN was all I would need to research it. Something is not adding-up here and it may be me.Confused
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 11:59pm
Loosely : Auto ordnance commercial carbine is part of Khar arms. The auto ordnance carbine was introduced circa 2004.
Production models hit winter of 05

If made before that it may be something interesting.

Do get pics. Do get front ring as well as rear of receiver. See if barrel marked
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2018 at 3:45pm
Never mind this...it was a 70-plus year-old brain-fart. It is a National Ordinance wearing some USGI parts with a 4-digit number.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2018 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

It is a National Ordinance wearing some USGI parts with a 4-digit number.

Not sure if you have eyes on that carbine but if so I am curious as to what type trigger housing it has. Is it usgi or a cast TH. If cast is it an M2 with the 9 spring groove, with a R cast on the inside bottom.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 20 2018 at 7:01pm
Wayne, I know it is from the second production run (60-62). The 4-digit serial number reflects that. I am 99% sure the TH is cast steel. I was dealing with this guy buying another carbine and just gave this one a cursory look. If I get a chance to get close again, I will try to get permission to strip and and see what it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply