Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Flash hider

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flash hider
    Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 6:32pm

Has anyone had experience with USGI or reproduction flash hiders?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 7:01pm
Paul, not really sure what you are asking?? If you are talking about firing a carbine with the flash hider attached then all I can say is, it is very uneventful when fired in the daytime and gives you one more thing to clean when you are done shooting.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 7:13pm
Wayne,
I was wondering if using the flash hider had any negative effect on accuracy, was it effective during night time shooting, did the additional weight have any effect on rifle balance, were the USGI flash hiders of better or worst quality than reproductions.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 7:44pm
No negative effect on accuracy, the added weight is very minimal. Prolonged use will mar the barrel. USGI is always better.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 7:53pm
Wayne - Thanks for concise answer to my inquiry.
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

No negative effect on accuracy, the added weight is very minimal. Prolonged use will mar the barrel. USGI is always better.

Wayne, I understand that USGI is most probably always better. I also understand one can distinguish USGI from Repo by the sound it makes when knocked upon. Repos make a thud. USGI's supposedly ring. This reminds me of the cast sound vs forged sound of other type of metal parts.

My question for you or others (from this noob) is when buying online how does one ensure that they are getting a USGI version instead of a repo?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Donnie Donnie wrote:

My question for you or others (from this noob) is when buying online how does one ensure that they are getting a USGI version instead of a repo?

Donnie, as with anything is trial and lots of errors, I have boxes of junk that was sold and I bought as "real" before I knew better. Most reputable dealers like Numrich, Northridge, Fulton ect.. will state USGI or reproduction and in most cases the item is legit. Also keep in mind that "GI" is not necessarily USGI. I am not an expert on flash hiders but what I know is there is a distinct difference in the wingnuts between a USGI and a repro. I also believe that all USGI flash hiders and muzzle brakes have a plastic lock washer inside of the wingnut.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 10:03pm
Look for a SA or .U.
Make sure it is 2 piece welded.

F in oval is decent, we only suspect who made
swamprat View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swamprat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 10:42pm
I have a .u. but not an SA. if only two made them i guess i should get an SA and consider that collection finished. Hah!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2018 at 11:30pm
Never said only 2 manufacturers, just most common.
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2018 at 8:19am
To my understanding the "flash hider" was developed to reduce the flash when using the night scope. The shape of the cone hides the flash from interfering with night vision.
Study pictures of of how Gov't contract and after market are put together closely and you can see differences. Do the same with bolt tools.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2018 at 3:22pm
Shadycon, it's an interesting comment regarding the purpose of the "flash hider" was to prevent the flash from interfering with night vision when using a scope. If correct, I can't image many "flash hiders" were issued during WW II.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2018 at 4:16pm
Actually the predecessor to the Hider, Flash M3 was the T23.  Development was started in late 44 for the Carbine M2. There was an interm requirement for flash hiders to be used in conjunction with the T3 Carbine and M2 sniperscope.
Standardization was in Aug 45 and were produced by Underwood and SA.

Though late in war there must have been huge production or they foresaw having supplies on hand, could also be later contracts with the onset of Korea
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2018 at 4:47pm
I found a great article on the internet that supports New2brass's comments regarding the development of the "flash hider". It is entitled "Bill Ricca's
carbine flash hider development".

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 15 2018 at 4:57pm
Good stuff! now I need a Hider Flash M3 TM from Korea for my collection
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 6:19am
Burning powder does produce a fair amount of light. Slides were corrected to reduce breach flash by opening the chamber a bit later in the action's cycle
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 16 2018 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Paul1262 Paul1262 wrote:

I found a great article on the internet that supports New2brass's comments regarding the development of the "flash hider". It is entitled "Bill Ricca's
carbine flash hider development".

Paul, that Bill Ricca article is excellent As a new Carbine owner I am a sponge for info such as this. Thanks for the link.
 Post Reply Post Reply