The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slide Stop Doesn't Pop Up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slide Stop Doesn't Pop Up
    Posted: Aug 09 2018 at 7:58am
The only problem I had with my new to me carbine is when I depressed the slide stop it didn't pop back up when the slide was pulled to the rear.I had to tap on it to get the bolt to close. I disassembled it to find the spring full of sludge so I cleaned the old spring because the new one I bought seemed to be way too long. When I got it back together I still had the same problem. I just don't understand what force makes it return to it's up position.The spring creates friction from the side and there is no return spring pushing up. I can surely live without it but would like it to work and would like mostly to understand how it's supposed to return up when there is nothing pushing it there.. Thanks for your time
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2018 at 9:05am
Originally posted by zenfly zenfly wrote:

I disassembled it to find the spring full of sludge so I cleaned the old spring because the new one I bought seemed to be way too long.

There is no spring action that pops the op slide stop up, it is moved (ramped) up when the op slide is pulled back, the spring holds the slide stop in place after it has been moved up and out of the slide stop hole in the receiver. Look at the pics on this link, page down. there were 2 types of slide stops and 2 lengths of springs, the longer spring goes with the later slide stop.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/slides.html
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
zenfly View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 09 2018 at 10:56am
 Thanks so much..I see the ramp now in the stop catch hole and now that all the gunk is cleaned from the spring and around the stop it's functioning as designed. I was trying to make it pop up while the slide was off the gun wondering why it didn't.. (duhhh)
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 06 2018 at 4:14pm
Mine was a bit sticky in its operation and seemed 'crudded up' (is that a word?) so I disassembled, cleaned and lubed it. Mine works fine now.
 Post Reply Post Reply