Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A tired old horse and parts interchangability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jeffster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A tired old horse and parts interchangability
    Posted: Aug 02 2018 at 11:21pm
So I recently acquired an Iver Johnson and its been running like a champ.  Unfortunately it looks to have been run hard and long and Im going to need to give it some TLC.

For starters, the ear on the slide on the drivers side is broken off. Im not sure how its gone through a few hundred rounds that way without a malfunction but it has.  The only Iver Johnson slide i have found is from the early 90's and this carbine appears to be late 70s or early 80s.

Now, this gun is worn.  The bore is nearly smooth so imagine the moving parts.  If I toss another slide of another brand on it am I going to see issues?  Im wondering if I should just throw a whole new bolt and slide at it at the same time. If so, is there one or another thats better?  It will likely be run hard in the future as well.

Secondary question.  The bolt is worn so smooth it looks like it could have been chromed, did anybody hard plate the bolts with chrome or is this just from the wear?

Thanks
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2018 at 12:14am
Hi and welcome to the Carbine Collectors Forum from New Mexico!

You can probably get away with using a USGI slide on your IJ. They're supposedly interchangeable as long as it's not an Enforcer pistol or 9mm variant. IJ carbines were either blued steel or stainless steel. Not aware of any chromed versions.
JackP
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2018 at 7:16am
Like the old saying..."if it ain't broke, don't fix it". If the gun cycles and shoots, I think all I would do is get a slide and yes, any caliber-30 USGI spec. slide should work. I have discovered the bolt dimensions are slightly different. Sticking a GI bolt in there may affect head-space.  In my case it does. I'd just examine the bolt for excessive wear (whatever that means) and obvious cracks. I would not start investing a lot of $$ in a gun that is that well-worn and can usually be had for under $400. 

You never know about the history of a gun unless you purchased it NIB. We know there were some plated commercial components and guns out there and a plated component could have wound-up on your IJ somewhere along the line. IJ picked-up where Plainfield left off and they also acquired Universal at it's demise. You can see fingerprints of all three of those brand-names in an IJ carbine.
The Jeffster View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jeffster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2018 at 3:25pm
Thanks for the info,  I went ahead and ordered a new slide, bolt, and wolff spring kit.  Ill replace the slide and operating spring and see how she runs.

Floydthecat, this particular IJ is a bit more than 400 bucks do to the little switch on the top left that makes "shooting the gun" more like "riding the lightning" haha.  Hence my willingness to sink good money into it.
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2018 at 3:44pm
"FUN SWITCH"??Ermm
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2018 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by The Jeffster The Jeffster wrote:

Floydthecat, this particular IJ is a bit more than 400 bucks do to the little switch on the top left that makes "shooting the gun" more like "riding the lightning" haha.  Hence my willingness to sink good money into it.

On yeah...the little switch makes all the difference in the world price-wise. Have you had the gun long...long enough to shoot it in "switch mode"? I'd be interested in learning how long the cast parts will hold up under full play-time. IJ's are suppose to be inferior commercial copies you know...Smile....?

Be sure to head-space that USGI bolt. I have a GI bolt in my IJ and it loosened the HS up by some 4-5 thousandths. Not enough to make it not work or dangerous, but just something to be aware of. I just trim brass for that gun a tad longer. My IJ cast bolts (I have more than one) are a tad longer from the face to the tail than a GI bolt (both flat and round).

Happy Shootin'!
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jeffster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2018 at 5:55pm
More like a money evaporation switch, but its hella fun LOL
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Jeffster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2018 at 6:10pm
Ive had it out to play several times now, it runs like a champ other than the occasional misfeed.  Its sloppy though, I think the main spring is toast (slow cyclic rate) and the slide runs sloppy since its only got one ear in the guide slots.

I feel like the bolt is pretty sloppy too but this is my first m1/m2 so im not sure.  Im hesitant to change too many parts since these are obviously worn to each other.

Any recommendations on headspace gauges?  Howd you go about checking it?  Ill run the new slide with the current bolt to see what I can see before I attempt to swap in the new one.

EDIT:  I will not be loading for this gun, I dont have that kinda time.  Ive been saving all the brass though so if anybody wants to buy some once fired, ive got plenty.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2018 at 6:56pm
MidwayUSA has Forster headspace gauges. I like them because you don't have to disassemble the bolt to use them. They're about $40 each. Start with the Field gauge (1.299"). The bolt should not close on a Field gauge. If it does, you have a problem. In that case, recheck your existing bolt. If it still closes, then maybe the problem is the chamber.
JackP
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 06 2018 at 7:36pm
You can check head-space without the gauges. Several of us here on the forum have discussed how it can be done. I have never owned a set of gauges. All you need to have is a properly sized case of known length and the rest is accomplished with shims...more-or-less. You will have to disassemble the bolt, but if you don't check head-space on a regular basis, that's no big deal. You can PM me with an e-mail address, or I will send you a PM.

I have/had a spare NPM flat, a Winchester flat and an Underwood round bolt. All three were within spec. as far as USGI specs. go, yet were all 4-5 thousandths shorter as compared to several IJ cast bolts. None of these GI bolts pushed the head-space out past a field-gauge spec., but I trimmed my brass just a bit longer to account for it.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 07 2018 at 8:28am
PM sent.
 Post Reply Post Reply