Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Early Winchester ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanutg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Early Winchester ?
    Posted: Jul 31 2018 at 7:06pm
I got this through the CMP in the 1960s.  Winchester # 1154826.  It appears to be all original and in alomost perfect condition.  Left side of stock ( between rear sight and trigger guard) has stamp A A W     The pistol grip curve has a large P and the bottom of the pistol grip has D A stamped . The letters P J are stamped on the slant, where the rear of carry strap fits with the oiler.   There are no nicks, scratches or dents anywhere.
It shipped from Rock Island Armory .  The packing list /Invoice has weird numbers in the date spaces, but none of them look anything at all like dates for 1960s era, so if anyone can tell me more about it ,, I'd be interested.
SMILEY
LMTmonoMan View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2018 at 7:34pm
Pictures would help greatly in regards to better helping you understand your carbine.

Off the top, the stamp "AAW" on the left side of the stock is a rebuild code. According to my knowledge it's the code for Augusta Arsenal, where they would use the AA and sometimes a third letter to denote a rebuild done at their facility. That fact alone means that it's not all original if you're referring to it being in it's original WWII condition. The PJ code is the stock's manufacturer's code. They were wartime replacement stocks.

It most likely will have all the upgraded parts that Arsenals were mandated to replace like the flip sight to adjustable sight. Type 1 and type 2 barrel bands to Type 3 bands with the bayonet lug. Push safety would have been swapped for a flip type safety, and several more that are less obvious.

All that isn't to cast a negative light on your carbine, and moreover your rifle sounds quite interesting considering the time period when you got it. It makes sense that everything looks in perfect condition if you did in fact get a WRA USGI carbine fresh out of an Arsenal rebuild.

Plenty of historical importance, all the while being able to fully enjoy shooting the rifle.   Those are perfect carbines in my book.
peanutg View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanutg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2018 at 1:20pm
Thsank you.
SMILEY
 Post Reply Post Reply