Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dented oiler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dented oiler
    Posted: Jul 28 2018 at 10:43pm
Is it common to see oilers dented by the sling, such as this?

Is this a sign of improper sling usage/installation?
This IS oiler came with my oval-cut IO stock, and I wonder how common it is to see this?
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 28 2018 at 11:23pm
Hi and welcome to the Carbine Collectors Forum from New Mexico!

I've not seen an oiler damaged like that. However, I can understand how that might happen. Some sling/stock combinations are difficult to assemble. This can be a problem particularly with reproduction slings and some commercial carbine stocks. With a narrow oiler slot and thick sling metal end, one may be tempted to whack the two together. Does there appear to be any damage to the stock in the oiler slot?
JackP
slklmoore View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2018 at 12:39am
No, no damage to the stock at the oiler cutout.  The sling itself is slightly frayed on its edges at the points where it wraps around the oiler, no doubt from rubbing against the edges of the cutout when the oiler is inserted/removed from the cutout.  It is a very tight fit to get the oiler into/out of the slot.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2018 at 8:01am
When I first purchased a sling and oilier, I was tempted to take a hammer to it but common sense won out. Hard work = success.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Donnie View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2018 at 2:09pm
I am a new owner, but from the appearance of that dent it appears as if someone attempted to remove it from the stock by prying it out with a large bladed screw driver. I doubt the strap could inflict that type of oiler damage.
slklmoore View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slklmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2018 at 9:30pm
I agree, the dent seems to be more pronounced than what I would think the sling itself would be able to do to an oiler.  Does anybody know how 'tight' the fit of the oiler (with sling around it) in the cutout is supposed to be?  I would imagine there has to be some amount of friction between the oiler/sling and the sides of the cutout, so that the oiler would stay in the cutout and not work its way out through the normal jostling and handling of the rifle.  On the other hand, I wouldn't think that you would want the fit so tight that an average GI would feel like he has to resort to using his bayonet or some other 'tool' to pry the oiler out of the slot every time he wanted to oil his M1, with the possibility of damaging his oiler, sling or stock.  I don't know how you quantify the 'tightness' required to do the job right, but I suspect mine is too tight.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2018 at 12:03am

few hints on removing the oiler, best to remove the running end of the sling. Push either end to form a loop out of the stock. This at times pushes oiler up which makes things tighter. use two fingers to hold the oiler firmly in stock while pushing slack out to form loop.

anyone up for an experiment? Wink
try looping the sling around the oiler the other way. Is it easier to remove sling and oiler with running end of sling dressed on outside or inside of working part of sling?

Post Reply Post Reply