Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Cheers or Jeers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fake Stock Stamps on ebay

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fake Stock Stamps on ebay
    Posted: Jul 15 2018 at 9:13pm
I know this is nothing new but it caught my eye today when I was looking at carbine stuff on ebay. What is really disturbing to me is the stamps that this seller has already sold. What do you think these buyers are really doing with these stamps?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-CARBINE-INLAND-LARGE-CROSSED-CANONS-STOCK-STAMP/202364427298?hash=item2f1ddc1c22%3Ag%3AVCAAAOSw30JbJvU7&_sacat=0&_nkw=m1+carbine+barrel&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC2.A0.H0.Xm1+carbine+barrel.TRS2
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2018 at 9:38pm
What's disturbing to me is that there are now bidding wars for these things. I'm sure the winning bidder is just buying the stamp to correct just their carbine.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2018 at 2:20am
More disturbing is the 25 items per page, 50+ pages of Feedback as a seller from this guy selling single and complete sets of fake stamps.

I have hundreds of printed off auction results from back in the day when you could see who the buyers username was. Plus the items sold were listed, not private listings like this guy strated doing years ago when he seen we were on to him and putting the word out. But I see he's given up on doing private listings lately.

the printed off auctions I have of people who've bought from this guy has many familiar names on it. I was laid up for a while after having rods put in my left leg... so time to kill. Those buyers (some) when finished went on to list and sell their stock stamps.
Oh if I was to name names you'd be shocked.

For now here is his feedback as a seller page.... read back to page 50-53 or so. He's made a good living off ruining WWII wood. History we'll never be able to recover correctly.
I'd really like to MEET HIM !!

Living Free because of those that serve.....
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2018 at 11:16am
Jerry Hyde has been selling these for years.

you must mean comments like this on page 50:

this set of stamps is so authentic its sick-can't wait to start making stocks     j***k
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2018 at 5:35pm
What I find interesting is how would one know the stamps are legit without a real example to compare?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2018 at 7:27pm
This hdeagle buys bulk from ole Bardall, then will resell months later.

When looking over hdeagle's Sellers feedback, with 25 items per page, roam back to pre and post page 12 out to as far as 35 or so.

hdeagle:
https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller&userid=hdeagle&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&searchInterval=365&mPg=39&keyword=stamp%20cartouche&page=35

Another buyer from Bardall is M1carbineman, known for reparing and restamping stocks, but to his credit he does state these stock have been restored:

https://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=FeedbackAsBuyer&userid=m1carbineman&iid=-1&de=off&items=25&interval=0&searchInterval=30&mPg=57&keyword=323065791443&page=21

Here is an example of M1carbinemans work, I'll copy/paste the description.

Up for bidding is a beautiful M1 carbine stock and hand guard made of walnut. The stock and hand guard are in excellent restored condition with no cracks or splits. The main body of the stock is a reproduction, the hand guard, and metal are 70+ years old made during WW2. This stock has been test-fitted with my own carbine, and fits and functions fine,.... This stock comes with a WW2 hand guard, WW2 Rockola butt plate, WW2 recoil plate stamped "Rockola" on top, and WW2 band spring. All photos are of the actual stock you will be getting. Please examine all photos carefully for a complete description. If you have any questions please ask before bidding. This stock would be great as a wall hanger, or as a shooter while you wait for that WW2 complete original...
INCLUDED 
WW2 Recoil plate stamped ROCK-OLA 
WW2 Early Hand guard stamped "RMC" 
Walnut reproduction stock 
WW2 butt plate manufactured by Rockola 
Cartouche re-stamping
"P" on pistol grip

This Reproduction stock sold for $290.00 and I did the BOLD HIGHLIGHTING.

FWIW,
CH-P777
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2018 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

Another buyer from Bardall is M1carbineman, known for reparing and restamping stocks, but to his credit he does state these stock have been restored:

Agree Charlie, you do have to give him some credit, but I imagine he is one of a very few stock "re-stampers" that are upfront about what they are selling.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2018 at 9:32pm
He didn't used to be so upfront about what he was doing.

It's been years ago when I thought I had to correct all of the wrongs in the carbine marketplace that I contacted one of the fake stamp sellers through eBay. It was an interesting conversation and a tad bit testy, at least on his part. He truthfully thought he was doing the hobby a favor by selling his stamps so we as collectors pretty up out nasty looking 70 plus year old wood. He finally suggested I buy all of them up and destroy them; now there's an idea!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2018 at 9:39pm
Yep give him credit......
But what about the next or 2nd owner afterward, Are they being told?

Overall point being when originally stamped not all were perfectly stamped, some heavy, lightly and barely. Now all the wear and tear, weather, pouch wear, rebuilding, refinishing... you name it.
But once these FAKE Stamps pound that old growth piece of history it's like a slap in the face to those who worked so hard (under rationing conditions) and the GI's who lived, died and fought with them.

All for that mighty $$.
You meet your maker one day, let's hope the big guy collects more than souls.

Evening,
CH-P777
Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2018 at 5:46am
I've got a whole set of those stamps. Bought on GreedBay many years ago. They're not copper as these are but zinc, I think, mounted on oak handles. They look like copies of the stamps in J.C. Harrison's book.
  These were before the time of computer controlled 3D printers and I don't think they were water-jet cut so I assume they were cast somehow. It would be a pretty tedious process to hand cut them.
  Lance
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2022 at 10:51am
On ebay now! Copied from Harrison's book. Note the seller's description below the pictures.

"M1 Carbine Stock Cartouches, complete set! Every stamp for M1 Carbine Stocks

This set will mark any WWll era Carbine stock correct markings to match the rifle.

In excellent condition , Stamps are sharp! each stamp is marked from the "M1 Carbine lll" collecting Book, impossible to re- create, one of a kind, Mark any Carbine stock to match the WWll rifle. I have all WWll stock Cartouches for the M1 Garand Stock as well, I will list them when this item sells, you will be one of the very few that can say you all the M1 Carbine and M1 Garand Cartouche stamps. Start a service on Ebay marking stocks for others, I used to charged $100 per stamp,

Priced to sell, individual stamps like this sell for about $60 a piece."

Edited by W5USMC - Nov 25 2022 at 3:11pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Jond41403 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jond41403 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2022 at 3:46pm
Enough to turn your stomach
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2022 at 9:19pm
I saw this. Someone with deep pockets should buy them and dispose of them. 
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2022 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Rebel92 Rebel92 wrote:

I saw this. Someone with deep pockets should buy them and dispose of them. 

I applaud your intent, however the fakers will just make more. These stamps have been out there a long time.

Faked items pervade the Carbine collecting genre. Buyer beware.

Here is a link to a lecture that I gave at a meeting of The American Thompson Association on the same subject in 2010. Similar stamps are referenced on slides 4 and 5 of the presentation.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/TATA/2010/Repro%20Lecture%202010.pdf

David Albert
dalbert@stuyrmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2022 at 11:17am
David thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply