Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal 256 Ferret

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintvaporizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal 256 Ferret
    Posted: Jul 15 2018 at 1:27pm
Thanks for adding me to this group.
I recently purchased a Universal 256 Ferret in pretty nice condition. It appears to be the 1025 model with the original scope & mount. I figured I would share some of the details of this gun to maybe help add to this vast wealth of information here. It would be great learn more about it also, like possibly a mfg date.

Serial #88485
Receiver code F25
GI type slide
Universal type aluminum trigger housing
No sights
Universal 4x20 scope with Universal marked (weaver type) side mount
Hardwood stock (birch???)
Metal hand guard

Thanks, Bobby
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2018 at 2:56pm
Go here if you have not already.

Welcome!
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2018 at 4:15pm
Hi Bobby and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

Based on the SN you reported it would have shipped before November 1967 (known ship date of a Universal carbine, SN 106XXX) and obviously after the date of introduction of 1966. I don't know if a more precise date is available.
JackP
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2018 at 11:32am
Hi Bobby

One of several challenges with a date of manufacture is ATF considered it to be when the receiver was capable of being built into an operable firearm. The serial number was added when the receiver was capable of becoming a firearm.

However.

The F25 on your receiver tells me it was received by Universal from the foundry in the 25th month of production. The first run of Ferret serial numbers I have info on is 32294 - 35100. The number on the left side of these receivers was F23 then F24.

Your F25 with your serial number appears Universal set aside a number of Ferret receivers from that first batch for later machining.

The second run of Ferrets, the serial numbers I have are 88102 - 88565. You are the first to share the number on the left side of one of these.

The .30 caliber carbines Universal made leading up to 88102 was 42. After 88565 the .30 cal. carbines 89019 was 47.

At the time the F25 receiver arrived at Universal it was the 25th month of production. May or June of 1964. The serial number is consistent with the receiver having been given it's serial number between the receivers Universal received from the 42nd and 47th month of production. Makes sense they would have had extras of the no sight Ferret receivers made to keep the cost down.

It would have finished machining and received it's serial number about the Fall of 1966. But there were a couple things going on at the time that may have affected a final assembly date.

At s/n 100,000 they switched to the hybrid carbine design. They knew that change was coming. After s/n 90000 up to 97286, the highest I have below 100k, it appears some were sold as receivers only, some had left over older parts, some didn't have all their Universal markings. I don't know if they had any down time as they switched from one design to the other.

So the switch to the hybrid design impacted the dates of their final assembly. 106xxx was shipped from Universal to a retailer by November 1967.

As a side note, s/n 89000-90000 most were sold to a government outside the USA. 79000-84000 a number were sent to the same country. These eventually came back to the USA.

There were a couple Ferrets that were random in this serial number mix. Appears they were made when ordered.

If none of this makes sense blame it on the confusion of mass production when a major design change is introduced. Along with a large order that likely quickened the production rate of final assembly.

Jim
varmintvaporizer View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintvaporizer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2018 at 7:24pm
Thank you all for the great information!

Jim, you seem to have quite a collection of data and documentation. If it would help you, I would be happy to take some detailed pictures and send your way.

I purchased this gun primarily because I have a Ruger Hawkeye pistol in 256 Winchester. I figured it would be cool to own all of the firearms originally chambered for this caliber.
But then again who doesn’t need another carbine in the safe?

Bobby
 Post Reply Post Reply