Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions on this Winchester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on this Winchester
    Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 10:45am
Hi guys

Posting this for a friend... what do you think?

Thanks in advance

Greg

https://imgur.com/gallery/J4HPJxO
mdarnell19 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdarnell19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 11:08am
Thank for posting this Greg. I am the one looking to buy it. Wanted to know what you guys thought since I am not a carbine collector. Does it look like a correct carbine? Or a put together? Thanks in advance for the help!
Check out my website
WWIIGermanSniper.com
sfal7418 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sfal7418 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 11:21am
Is the spring tube cracked in the rear
LS6man View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LS6man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 11:35am
Hmmm.. Matt check it out... it looks like it could be.. good catch
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 1:56pm
Would it be possible to get a picture of the nose of the stock from the top? I think I see where it had a type one barrel band on it at one point. Overall, it's not a bad carbine, put together or possibly not.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 2:03pm
Not a spring tube, Integral. Minor crack/split, but wouldn't expect any issue with it.
Curious if the barrel band screw is correct type... picture makes it look like a round head screw.
Would a picture of the other side (left) of the barrel band be possible?
Is muzzle and bore in good condition?
Overall nice looking WRA.

Enjoy the forum,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 3:39pm
It looks like a correct carbine from a parts perspective. If the bore is okay I think it would be a fine addition to your collection. The only thing I might be concerned about is the wear/damage on the receiver just behind the right bolt lug. I also see a little wrinkle on the side of the receiver just behind the handle of the operating slide. This area deserves a second look.
JackP
wmmwraghd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmmwraghd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 6:41pm
In my very humble opinion.  The crack at the end of the spring hole could very well be from Winchester during it's manufacture. The crack does not look like it is or has has been propagating. Do not see any anomaly behind the slide handle. I see a wear pattern like looks like a curve. Nice original looking 5.61 WRA. 
carbinenewb View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinenewb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 7:00pm
I'm new to carbines, but trying to learn the "look" of an original.

Picture 9 (side view of leaf sight)

The top of the dovetail looks lighter than the finish underneath. Is this normal for a carbine with a leaf sight?
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by wmmwraghd wmmwraghd wrote:

In my very humble opinion.  The crack at the end of the spring hole could very well be from Winchester during it's manufacture. The crack does not look like it is or has has been propagating. Do not see any anomaly behind the slide handle. I see a wear pattern like looks like a curve. Nice original looking 5.61 WRA. 

I agree, A very nice example of a Transitional WRA with some lucky earlier parts like the Flip and (I believe I seen) Hi-wood stock.

Still curious about the barrel band screw and seeing the other side for weld spot locations around the screw threads (left side).

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 7:22pm
This is the specific area that concerns me. This corner should be sharp, not curved. If this is damage, it could be the result of a previous bolt lug failure.

My apologies if this is just an image artifact or a shadow.

JackP
mdarnell19 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdarnell19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 7:37pm
Thanks for the info guys. I will go back next week to take some more pictures of the nose of the stock from the top. Here is a better picture showing the receiver. It is definitely a crack. So the next question (if anyone is willing to answer) is what is this carbine worth in this condition? Owner says it will be around $2,000. Bad price?

Check out my website
WWIIGermanSniper.com
wmmwraghd View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmmwraghd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 8:40pm
With the higher definition picture it does look like this crack could walk on you with continues use of the weapon. I resend my prior comment about the crack.  One observation......the high wood stock is a bit early for a 5.61.  There could always be a straggler but WRA started using low wood stocks at the beginning of the 5.5 million serial block. 50,000 plus carbines prior to this one being assembled.  I think 2 K is a bit high. 
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 9:02pm
I think it's typical of a lot of carbines today in that it's worth more as a parts gun than as a complete carbine. Yes, 2k is too high, especially if the wood is incorrect and now that I've seen a better picture of the crack, it just makes me wonder. Still, I see far worse shi* than this selling on Gunbroker everyday of the week. To me a 2k dollar carbine should be almost perfect or damn close to it. Of course it's not been that long since I said the same exact thing about carbines selling for 1500 bucks.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by wmmwraghd wmmwraghd wrote:

With the higher definition picture it does look like this crack could walk on you with continues use of the weapon. I resend my prior comment about the crack.  One observation......the high wood stock is a bit early for a 5.61.  There could always be a straggler but WRA started using low wood stocks at the beginning of the 5.5 million serial block. 50,000 plus carbines prior to this one being assembled.  I think 2 K is a bit high. 

Also agree after looking over notes. Hi-wood possible, but really seems unlikely when compared to our notes, CCNL's and COM's.

But to Add:
JP has drawn attention and rightly so to the receivers right locking shoulder.
Nice Eye JP !
There has been a (IMO) bolt failure that has damage the area circled.
If you look closely you can see the heavy loss of finish and metal on top of the right rail just behind that area. Same area that the pictures, when looking from the side in to the slides channel have a burred up wavy look. Now I'm concerned with the left shoulder also. 

Pictures of both the left and right locking shoulders are a must. If damaged the receiver is DOA.
Here's one that had to be replaced because of a bolt failure:
I can't seem to crop the picture.
In this link please see post #1 and #3:

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=63360

Picture of WRA receiver for comparison:

Post Reply Post Reply