Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unmarked Trigger Housing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 06 2018 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

As I was typing you posted

edit to add: Just checked a t6 inland, SA and a Vietnam era t6 housing. None have counter bored hole, they have a slight chamfer

If I have time this weekend I will compare a SA to a Inland to see if there is something to tell them apart.

Unless anyone else beats me to it.Wink

Tomato, any history to this housing? was it on a carbine?

OPs photo from above, does it look bored or chamfered here?

No history and not on a carbine. The trigger housing as purchased was a complete, functioning unit. All Inland parts but the push safety which is unmarked.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2018 at 9:37am
Holding up an Inland type 5 next to all the OP's pictures, it looked to be an exact match until I looked at the right side. Is this distinct line maybe caused by grinding the back half of the TH, which removed the markings? Also the TH pin hole does not look recessed or chamfered to me, thinking the angle of the pic made it look that way, can you confirm this tomato?

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2018 at 6:31pm

I have observed that line on several make trigger housings. Basically the back was a critical dimension due to stock fit. Forward of that machine line there are specs, but do not think critical relatively speaking.

I do agree the ridge looks heavier than I have seen, but shadows can fool you in pics.

Want to go nuts? look at machining around rear lug that goes in receiver, did they machine across then lengthwise? in reality it has to do with which machine had a new or worn bit or adjusted wrong. Longer bit would go deeper.

Tomato, can you catch the ridge with your fingernail? is it evident with just finger?
Also is the hole chamfered or just a hole?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 07 2018 at 11:56pm
Tomato, one last request. Can you take a picture of the rear of trigger guard where it curves up to the top of housing and lug.

Might be on to something!
tomato View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 09 2018 at 6:10pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Tomato, one last request. Can you take a picture of the rear of trigger guard where it curves up to the top of housing and lug.

Might be on to something!

Sorry about the late response to your request. I really appreciate your help!

definitely a step

I will post more pictures of other areas if you need. Thank you for your help in solving this mystery.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2018 at 4:17pm
The rear of the SA looks to have a line as shown below. sort of like a upside down curve like you see on the bed of your nail. this is from the tool bit flattening the rear upper portion of the trigger guard. the line is due to the raise of material
Mind you this is only my observation from one SA housing! Others please chime in.

The inland has a more blended area like it was blended with a belt sander and they rocked the housing.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12