The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tim and a new gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjwest13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tim and a new gun
    Posted: Jul 02 2018 at 8:53am
Hello all!

My name is Tim W. I live in Michigan, enjoy sporting clays, building AR’s, the occasional three gun shoot, and finding new ways to spend money on guns, and now I’m here. I am happy to be here and would love some help better understanding the carbine I have recently acquired.

I don’t know much about these carbines, but I think I am off to a good start. Here is what I have been able to glean so far using ‘The M1 Carbine Owners Guide’.

Manufacturer: Saginaw Steering Gear, Grand Rapids Plant (Irwin-Peterson Contract)
Receiver: SAGINAW S’G’
Barrel: SAGINAW S.G DIV GENERAL MOTORS
Serial: 3620780
Date is unclear, but the book states the Irwin- Peterson Contract was delivered in 1942. There is a mix of early parts and late parts, hard for me to say, maybe you guys can help.
Front band assembly: latest model type 3 w/ bayonet lug
Magazine catch: modified, ‘M’ is engraved
Handguard: 2 rivet, early model
Safety: late model, flip type
Rear sight: late model, stamped. Clearly staked on right side.
Stock: I believe this is an M1 low wood stock with the oval oiler ( late model).

Other details: there are no other markings on the barrel, so I can’t know if this was arsenal reworked or not. Maybe it went to FN after the war? I know fn didn’t mark many if any carbines they took in. Recoil plate is marked ‘RIA’. Barrel band is marked MMQ. Bayonet lug is stamped either EM-O or EM-Q hard to tell. Weapon functions very well. I cleaned, lubricated and inspected according to the book and also had my local gunsmith inspect headspace, barrel, and chamber. Everything checked out, barrel has great rifling and Crown looks almost perfect. Shot a full magazine flawlessly, I will have to go back out and check acuracy.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2018 at 10:04am
Welcome to the forum, Tim. Sounds like you have a good shooter there. Post some pictures when you can.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
tjwest13 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjwest13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2018 at 10:56am
I suck at these forums, but here is a link to the album! Notes and pictures included.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/70689039@N06/6U0X03

US ARMY
Smith and Wesson Certified Armorer

The more I shoot, the more questions I have
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2018 at 11:22am
Fellow Saganaw S'G' owner from MD welcomes you.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2018 at 11:32am
Those pics are good Tim. Would like to see some pictures of the receiver out of the stock, in particular the rear and left side of the receiver, any markings on left side of the receiver like a letter? How about the trigger housing manufacturer.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2018 at 11:39am
Hi Tim and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2018 at 1:51pm
Tim. Welcome to the forums.
contract delivery date is irrelevant. That is when IP got the contract. I think May 43 the contract was pulled from IP and given to Saginaw.
Saginaw operated two plants, One in Saginaw and other in Grand Rapids which was the IP plant.

Saginaw (SAG) did not participate in the government free issue barrel program "GFIBP"
Saginaw (GR) was a recipient for barrels from the "GFIBP"
What had happened is late 43 SAG sent barrels to GR.

I know it is a little confusing as they were both the same company. Probably more to do with logistics of shipping barrels.

At the 3.5 mill range there was a SAG and GR mixture seen. SAG had gotten permission to send receivers to GR to be serialized. So we see a mix of numbers on both factory receivers.

Contracts were cancelled and last deliveries were April 44. I would guess that yours was delivered between February and April of 44.

The club has been doing research for 40 years. Our work is aided by people submitting data sheets which can be found here

Beyond those SAG and GR mixture in the 3,575,000 and beyond we need more information.
At the very least if you could provide pictures of the left side of receiver as well as the back it would be appreciated. A data sheet even better!

There is a chance that your receiver was made at either plant and pictures would help determine at which.

For your own information a data sheet helps you learn about your carbine and all its markings.
Your stock appears to be a pot belly which is a type 5. Made after your carbine was delivered. Their may be marks in slingwell, possibly under the handguard.
The mag catch is a replacement/updated made by I believe Commercial Controls (formerly NPM) 

Basically a post war rebuild, but interesting!

Lots of great folks here to help you figure it all out!
tjwest13 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjwest13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2018 at 3:39pm
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I will get more pics up soon, I do know there is a marking in the handguard, but I have not seen anything on the stock itself, I will also check to see what markings are on the internals.
US ARMY
Smith and Wesson Certified Armorer

The more I shoot, the more questions I have
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 04 2018 at 3:50pm
Also look for markings on the stocks forward barrel channel... on the top.
If it's a Springfield made stock, you may find the letters SA.

Welcome, From near Lansing, MI

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply