The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on Remington M2 ammo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john14_18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question on Remington M2 ammo
    Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 5:52pm
I am a newbie not only to the forum but also to M1's. I have been collecting S&W revolvers for over 40 years and usually on S&W forum but a friend of mine's husband passed away and she has the following ammo for sale and I am trying to do some research on it to get her a fair price. Could not see
any way to upload pictures here.

She has 2 metal ammo cans. Each can has 20 unopened boxes marked -20 cartridges,BALL. Caliber 30 AN-M2,
LOT RA 43301, Remington Arms co Inc. So she has a total of 800 rds and the boxes look new. The can is marked for 30 Cal.

She also has 1 opened and 8 unopened boxes marked - 20 cartridges, BALL, Caliber 30 M2
Ammunition lot number E.W. 28823
Disposal of emptied cartridge cases must be made as prescribed by A.R.
EAU CLAIRE ORDNANCE PLANT

They look like 30.06 ammo. My questions are:
1. Is there a difference between the M2 and AN-M2 ammo?
2. What would be the fair market value of it ?

I have looked on Gunbroker completed items and saw where a guy is selling 200 rds for $190 plus shipping. Wasn't sure if this was going rate or not.

What is weird is that there is no MI Garand to be found but did find a pristeen Universal MI Paratrooper model, which I know is not military, with about 400 rds of ammo in belts. Also trying to determine value of it.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you in advance and have a Blessed Day!
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 8:53pm
Hi John,

Yes, it's M2 .30-06 ammunition that your friend's widow has. I'm not sure what the specific difference is between the M2 and AN-M2 for certain, but I always thought the AN-M2 ammo was specifically made for the AN-M2 Aircraft Machine Gun. That's probably because I own one, and the ammo shoots very well in it, and it's a finicky machine gun to feed. I could be wrong, though on the specific intended application. Both types of M2 ammo will shoot in M1 Garands, M1917's, and M1903 Rifles. It's a different caliber altogether than what an M1 Carbine shoots.

You can easily get $10 a box for it. I saw many boxes at a gun show last weekend for a $20/box asking price, and that's what I usually see at shows, but it's not a good seller at that price. Most people will buy the AN-M2 ammo for collection, and there are only so many who will want it. So, you might sell the whole bunch for $10 a box quickly, or maybe $15/box if you want to spend some time at it.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 9:10pm
John,

OK, you got me wondering about the difference between M2 and AN-M2 ammo, so I went to the books. According to Dolf Goldsmith's book "The Browning Machine Gun, Volume III, Supporting the Rifle Caliber Brownings," he indicates that M2 Ball ammo was adopted in 1940, with slightly increased velocity over the previous ball ammo version, and "was required to group with a 7.5 inch circle at 600 yards." AN-M2 ammunition was procured under an Army/Navy specification (hence "AN"), and had slightly "tighter quality and acceptance criteria than the standard ball M2." These criteria included increased testing, inspection, and waterproofing, and the maximum lot size was 1 million rounds. It was acquired for shipboard and training use.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
john14_18 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john14_18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 10:30pm
David,

Thank you so much for your reply!.It has given a good insight on the ammo. 

Thank you again and have a Blessed Evening!

John14_18
 Post Reply Post Reply