Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Underwood Parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Underwood Parts
    Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 9:38am
I'm restoring a '44 Underwood.  Have interest in a correct rear sight, safety, stock, and barrel band.  Thanks for any help.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 10:50am
Most likely a flip sight, an unmarked type three safety, type one barrel band and a low wood stock. I think it is in the Riesch book (maybe War Baby too) where they are listed as using adjustable rear sights and type two barrel bands at the very end of production. I don't think that's been officially confirmed though.
InlandHunter View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2018 at 11:13am
Thanks for the reply.  Agrees with what I've learned.  Now, where to find?
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2018 at 8:52am
Still looking.
Hopefully can find items for a winter project. Still need a P-U marked stock, type 2 barrel band, and flip sight. Have Winchester stocks and pristine SA stock set to trade if interested.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2018 at 10:05am
you will need at least $500+ for those original parts
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2018 at 11:15am
Originally posted by cali201 cali201 wrote:

you will need at least $500+ for those original parts

I fear you are right, and would be foolish to "correct" a typical example.  May be financially prudent to disassemble what I have and sell for parts.  Recently received a rude education in horrible quality of parts being misrepresented on Ebay with phony images.  Hobby is not without its pitfalls and bottom feeders.

chipins View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chipins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2018 at 2:23pm
The "hobby" is full of bottom feeders and slimeballs. Correctors created the opportunity for the bottom feeders to make money. Its now swamped with fake parts and dirtballs that sell them.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InlandHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2018 at 9:19am
Yes, such would appear the case.  Thankfully honest enthusiasts represented here are generous enough to share their hard learned knowledge.  Wish it acceptable to better flag the bottom feeders and clearly broadcast the worthless schlock being sold.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2018 at 12:17pm
Originally posted by InlandHunter InlandHunter wrote:

Wish it acceptable to better flag the bottom feeders and clearly broadcast the worthless schlock being sold.

You can post in the for sale subforum "Cheers or jeers"

What we try to avoid is saying why something is fake in an online format that would help said bottom feeders produce a better item.

I wonder if that handguard is a poorly made commercial reproduction or foreign ersatz handguard?

Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2018 at 6:45pm
I have a very nice Underwood flip sight , and a oval cut highwood stock I would sell . Let me know
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2018 at 1:23pm
I used to buy lots of parts at the start. Most never got used, but they still had value. If a person can't discern real and repop parts, then don't waste money on gambles. I've corrected IPs in the course of my hobby interests. One I did with a round S flip that looked proper on it even though it didn't have the proper right side IP markings. It's a correction. It'll be fine. Finding the proper sight takes time and usually costs a bit, but not always. If I still owned it and found the proper flip I have an Inland that the flip would've worked on perfectly. The Inland is correct except the sight, bolt and stock. No stake marks.

What I've learned is given enough time (patience), everything comes across your path to buy. Everything. Patience.
 Post Reply Post Reply