Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Front sight manufcturer marking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Front sight manufcturer marking
    Posted: Jun 17 2018 at 5:57pm
My front sight has a clear "6" on the left side. The front face has a small flat-sided divot or "D". When held with the light at just the right angle, two parallel lines become visible. Hard to get a picture holding the rifle, camera, and light at the same time. Is it an "IP" marking or just my imagination? The vertical lines would seem to be pretty far apart.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2018 at 6:21pm
The number "6" on the left side indicates blade height used on IP and S'G' carbines. I think the mark in front is just a dent with two scratches, but I could be wrong.... Manufacturer codes are usually on the top surface of the sight with a few exceptions.
JackP
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2018 at 6:37pm
Yeah, milled front sight with a slight center ridge, ring staked. No markings on the top.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2018 at 8:32am
Looks like a rather clumsy method of driving a tight fitting sight on.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2018 at 4:05pm
Can you post a picture of the number.
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2018 at 5:19pm

Most of my barrel/to view shots came out pretty blurry. Here one cropped in that had some focus.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2018 at 5:33pm
Hmm, Sure no marks up top? Take an old toothbrush or a cleaning brush to it. Sometimes they were marked on the side along the blade.

Do not try to take close ups. Take from two feet away with ample light such as out doors but in shade or under tree. Remember camera likes light. Our eyes adjust to dark areas.
Then crop what you need.
choprboy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote choprboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2018 at 2:20am
It looks like a lot of crud on top in the picture, but it is just fine surface rust and dust glistening in oil. From the top view it looks pretty clean and going over it with q-tips and toothpicks doesn't reveal anything.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2018 at 10:38am
IP's supplier of front sights was Niedner and marked N or IPN. the IPN marking was on the ridge and tucked up real tight to the sight blade.

When Saginaw took over they used what parts they could. They kept Niedner (N or N-S"G") and picked up Taylor Freezer Co. which used T-S'G'. Rockola also used Taylor but theirs were marked T R on the front.

Looking at your front picture there looks to be a line to the left of your "D" and almost looks like a T, however may just be a scratch. The "D" looks more like an "R" to me. However the orientation is not consistent with the T R markings.

Looking at the top picture I see nothing, however on my mobile device I see what looks like a line to the right of the ridge and perpendicular to it. May just be an apparition.

there were two other listed suppliers of front sights to the Grand Rapids plant.
We do not know if they actually produced for S'G' or how they were marked.

Simpro did produce sights for IBM and marked SI-B. Unknown if actually produced or how marked for S'G'

Prestole did make sights  for IBM and QHM but those markings were on top or side. They are listed as making for UEF marked PU. I do not think I have observed this one.

Anyone have a PU marked sight?

Prestole did have a spares contract and they were marked with a P on top.

So basically you may have an unmarked sight which was known to happen. The 6 confirms it was for IP/S'G'

For anyone following in the future, it would be unwise to swap out something that seems out of place. A good eye would show that the sight was replaced casting doubt to the originality of the carbine.

painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2018 at 7:55pm
This 6 looks smaller than the Op's.

Living Free because of those that serve.....
 Post Reply Post Reply