The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should this carbine have .U. or W internal parts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should this carbine have .U. or W internal parts?
    Posted: Jun 17 2018 at 4:45pm
It is coded Underwood, SN 2400937 and stamped WTA (Intertype) on the rear bevel. As I understand, this receiver was obtained by Win after the .U. contract ended, and Win completed the build. There are half dozen CCNL dealing with this subject, but I do not have them. 
One source I found stated that "parts for this carbine should be consistent with the 5.7M range (6-44 to 10-44)" which is a Win block. So should the carbine be built up with Win internals, or with leftover .U. parts supplied to Win by .U. with the batch of receivers when the .U. contract ended? I would guess that a mixture of both would not be uncommon. 
Is there anything definitive on this out there?
Many thanks

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2018 at 8:11pm
It should have mostly Winchester parts in in, although there's a chance of some bought/integrated UEF parts showing up too. UEF recoil plates are occasionally seen in this block for instance, a known integrated part. I hope this helps.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2018 at 3:47pm
Nice! CCNL 357 talks about the leftover receivers used by Winchester.
I recently Inquired about the use of parts other than Winchester on late Winchester carbines from the factory. Though nothing definitive, it is generally felt that if Winchester accepted other parts that they were used for spares contracts.

Receivers were received in varying degrees of completion, some ready to go. These were used first (5.7 range) others needed to be completed and have Winchester serial numbers. There are 2 distinct groups in the 5.8 range and the 6.4 range.

HOWEVER: If anyone has an otherwise correct looking late carbine (or any carbine) with a part or two that stands out DO NOT CORRECT IT!
I would bet if Winchester used other parts that owners felt compelled to swap out the parts, taking away the history and hindering the ability to tell what came from the factory and when.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2018 at 4:07pm
Thanks Dan
I got this one at a auction and it has mostly Inland internals, which I knew was not right. I was  just curious as to what one might expect to be installed on this well traveled receiver. Thanks again.
Reed
And Amen to your warning. I have several like that. Leaving them alone.
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
 Post Reply Post Reply