Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member - Low Serial NPM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member - Low Serial NPM
    Posted: May 10 2018 at 9:52am
New member. Have had this NPM since about 1996. Paid $200.00 for it at a gun show in Portland, Oregon. Never really paid a lot of attention to it (other than to shoot it) until recently. If I'm right, this NPM is among the first 20K or so carbines they built: serial #1472250.

I think the receiver and barrel have always been together: Buffalo Arms 6-1943 with a front sight marked with an N right behind the post.

Everything else was a mix of other manufacturers (Excel import stamp on barrel): Round Bolt, Rock-ola slide, HI (Louisville Slugger?) low wood stock, Underwood trigger group housing (type I, I think), front barrel band was one with the bayonet lug.

Will get a couple of photos up on the board when I figure that out.

Have been sourcing NPM parts for it lately. Flat bolt (N12), Slide and Trigger Housing (both N9), SN Trigger, BOB Sear, HI Hammer. Mag catch is labeled HI, may leave that even though most sources say MN or SN. Currently has an aftermarket push-button safety, switched out from a rotary.

Et tu Brute?
Red Dog View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 10:12am
Receiver serial pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/154867772@N05/shares/303731

Not getting the photo posting thing.
Et tu Brute?
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 4:23pm
Welcome to the forum, It's a wealth of information, suggestions, helping hand and the list goes on. The people are the best! I am not too far from you, just North up in Longview on the West side, Coal Creek.
Are you replacing Underwood Parts? I maybe interested.
Red Dog View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 6:28pm
Thanks James. Not sure yet whether or not I'm selling those parts. A younger cousin has me doing WWII reenacting, and at an even last week in Goldendale I decided that I really didn't want to shoot blanks through mine.

Am thinking of building a carbine just for that purpose.
Et tu Brute?
Red Dog View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 6:30pm
Received this hard to find little guy today, all the way from the Netherlands.
IN Oiler: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154867772@N05/shares/47oP9J
Et tu Brute?
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2018 at 11:33pm
I've been accumalating parts here and there. Last month I was too late as a decent M2 potbelly stock sold for $10 before I got to that table. Then I ran across an old 1904 Spanish/Swede stock I had and almost done converting it accept Cal 30 Carbine parts. I tend to like old military straight grip stocks over pistol grips. Just something to play with as a shooter. A test bed to swap parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply