Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mag Springs and Snap Caps vs WRA Dummy Rounds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mag Springs and Snap Caps vs WRA Dummy Rounds
    Posted: Apr 16 2018 at 4:16pm
I was “test driving” a couple new mags, a freshly unwrapped IS and a Keep On Shooting after market and had a couple issues.  I was using 2 Snap Caps and found the second round would not cycle in the KOS.  Upon disassembly I found that it has 5 ½ coils (5 on the GI mags) which has the “high side” looking correct at the base plate but it is opposite what it needs on the follower.  I turned it around and seems to be working OK now.  I know backwards springs are a common issue but for these you need to take it all way out to verify the “high side”.  Also as a side note the KOS has some sharp edges so I smoothed them up a bit.  Next I found the Snap Caps were inconsistent on engaging the bolt and ejecting.  Before panicking thinking I could have extractor issues, I found my WRA 1944 dummy rounds and tried them.  I had no issues with them.  I mic’d the rim of the two and best I could tell the Snap Caps may be .003” smaller diameter.  As for rim thickness I’m not sure as the 35 degree chamfer made measurement difficult with my $14.95 digital mic. They looked similar to me.  Has anyone had similar issues using Snap Caps?  
One more thing, I found Dupage Trading has 1944 Winchester M13 dummy carbine cartridges, new condition in a sealed 50 round box if anyone needs some.  Same as the ones I used today.  17 boxes left after I bought a box.
http://www.dupagetrading.com/product/winchester-m13-dummy-carbine-cartridges/
 Post Reply Post Reply