The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tips and Tricks Trigger Housing Pin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips and Tricks Trigger Housing Pin
    Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 5:54pm
Tired of dropping or losing your trigger housing pin?
Before takedown I am sure everyone clears their carbine, right! Shocked

What this does is it cocks the hammer. I am sure everyone will agree not to dry fire, so what to do?
Pull the slide back until you feel it engage the hammer. Pull the trigger and hold while you control the slide forward.

Now the hammer will be pressing against the bolt, this in turn puts a little pressure on the trigger housing and the pin will be less likely to fall out. No more digging under the bench for your trigger housing pin!Clap
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2018 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I am sure everyone will agree not to dry fire, so what to do?

Dan, good tip, however I am not sure everyone would agree not to dry fire. I for one was brought up where "snapping in" is a critical part of marksmanship training, teaches trigger control, sight alignment, sight picture and breath control. Dry firing is also part of the trigger group function check described in Ruth and Duff's Carbine owners guide. Additionally dry firing is encouraged in the CMP Rifle Safety Manual where page 12 of this manual has a whole paragraph on dry firing and pretty much starts with this "Be assured that reasonable amounts of dry firing will not harm these surplus military rifles since all were designed to be subjected to extensive dry fire exercises during military training."
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 11 2018 at 6:27pm
Thanks for the tip also Dan, A practice I always do on my Mauser type bolt guns, shows my continuing learning curve of Carbine 30 Cal. Will do the same on both types now.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 9:04am
Not the most professional or technical way to prevent the pin from falling out however, I just put a piece of tape over the pin.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Paul1262 Paul1262 wrote:

Not the most professional or technical way to prevent the pin from falling out however, I just put a piece of tape over the pin.

Not me...I like to crawl around and look for lost parts. It gives me an opportunity to look for the last part I dropped and never found. I found a revolver spring under the table the other day that I lost 2-years ago.
zenfly View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zenfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 10:08am
Originally posted by floydthecat floydthecat wrote:

Originally posted by Paul1262 Paul1262 wrote:

Not me...I like to crawl around and look for lost parts. It gives me an opportunity to look for the last part I dropped and never found. I found a revolver spring under the table the other day that I lost 2-years ago.
Now that's funny rot dare .
Fly Fishing boat Capt Port Canaveral..FFF / CCI
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 12:37pm
Enjoyed your response.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 5:41pm
It's true, but I have learned my lesson. I think I have 4 spare pins in my safe.LOL
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 6:56pm
I keep a magnetic dish next to the small parts I'm removing and put them in it. Simple.Big smile
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

I keep a magnetic dish next to the small parts I'm removing and put them in it. Simple.Big smile

Same here but I put a piece of a thin plastic cutting board (sheet) in the bottom of the tray so that the parts don't get scratched and it lessens the magnetic pull.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 7:28pm
Point is being missed.
If the hammer is clocked when you pull out action the pin tends to fall out.
By having the hammer forward the opposing force moves the trigger housing rearward.
This puts pressure on pin and it does not drop out.

Edit to add: I too have a magnetic dish which is a great tip, providing you don't lose the pin before it gets to dish.

Edited by New2brass - Sep 02 2018 at 9:31pm
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2018 at 7:40pm
I always keep the hammer tension on the bolt like that when pulling them down or returning the action to the stock.
Paul1262 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul1262 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2018 at 12:14pm
As I stated previously, I have a piece of tape that covers the pin therefore, it never drops out by accident. When I do remove the pin I just remove the tape and place the pin in my magnetic dish. When reinstalling, I insert the pin and then put another piece of tape over the pin to hold in place. I have experienced the pin falling out more often when reassembling the housing. A piece of tape puts my mind at ease that I have not reassembled the M1 with a missing trigger housing pin.
 Post Reply Post Reply