The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie in Ohio

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SACO_1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie in Ohio
    Posted: Apr 08 2018 at 11:08pm
Hi all.  I have a late M1 model Winchester in the 6.5 million range and will post pictures soon.  I am currently disassembling it again to fill out a data sheet and take better pictures.  All the marked parts seem to be from Winchester or 2nd party parts used by Winchester and seem to be the proper type for a Winchester built at that time.  One thing that I have learned though (from reading Craig Riesch’s book on wartime production) is that only the Cross Cannon cartouche was used in serial numbers after about 5,580,000 (Winchester).  Mine also has the “W.R.A./G.H.D. with periods and no box (there is a “W” in the slingwell).  Is it possible that they were still using this occasionally or has my stock been replaced at some time?  Also, the stock has no rebuild or import marks, but the bottom of the handgrip does have a stamped “T” (and no “P”) – I cannot find anything about that.

I will try to post one picture.  My father is front row, 2nd from left holding an M1 Carbine along with the others.  This picture was taken somewhere in India, fall of 1944.  They went by ship to Bombay and were making their way to Calcutta with the help of the Indian soldiers.  They were each issued an M1 carbine and a Colt 45.  From Calcutta, they flew over the hump in a C46 (Burma) and made their way to Kumming, China.  From there, they made their way north towards Shanghi working with the Chinese resistance and meeting up with other US Navy forces.  They were coast watchers, saboteurs, and even rescued a few downed pilots.  My father brought the M1 Carbine home, but unfortunately, it was stolen.  I have no information on it at all (or remember any details) even though I shot it a few times when I was a boy.  What a loss!

NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 7:27am
Most likely a replacement. It seems to be fairly well narrowed down that the changeover to just the cross cannon stamp took place in the 5.7 million serial number range (NL237).
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 8:26am
Welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing some pictures of your Winchester.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 8:30am
Welcome to the forum.  Sorry about the loss of your dad's M1.  That is really unfortunate.  This is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable folks able and willing to help.  Looking forward to seeing pics of your carbine.
arthur View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 10:12am
SACO welcome. I live just down the road in Dayton. Do you belong to Ohio Gun Collectors Assn? A nice display show coming up next month. Its a shame your family treasure was stolen. Was  your father a Seabee? It looks like he has a Garand instead of a carbine in the picture.
SACO_1945 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SACO_1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 11:38am
Thanks for the info.
SACO_1945 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SACO_1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 12:35pm
Arthur (neighbor),
I don't belong to the Ohio Gun Collectors Assn.  I will look into it though -- would like to go to the show.  My father was not a Seabee.  He volunteered for the mission (SACO -- Sino-American Cooperative Organization) as did all the Navy people there.  He was there 1944-1945.  The mission was kept secret until sometime after the war ended.  To see more information:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-American_Cooperative_Organization.  The rifle my father brought back was a carbine for sure.  The picture is not really good enough for me to say for sure which he was holding in the picture, but should be a carbine.

Attached is the official song from SACO (I guess you had to be there!).

Post Reply Post Reply