The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New guy near Sarasota, FL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billdprat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy near Sarasota, FL
    Posted: Apr 01 2018 at 8:18pm
Like many others, my story starts "I got this gun in a trade."   I was aware of the little carbine, but had never paid a lot of attention to them.  Thought I'd just jump on the internet, see what I had.  Oh, lord.  Down the rabbit hole I've fallen.  

Looks like this is going to be interesting.  It's a Saginaw action, barrel and stock, serial 3328XXX, from what I can see built early in 1943.  Very clean, see little wear inside.  No import marks.  The story I was given was that it was a 'bring back' by someone's uncle during the Korean war.  I've seen enough on the internet to doubt pretty much anything relating to one of these.

If you guys were going to offer a newbie tips on how to start figuring out what how much is original, are there 3 or 4 first steps you can recommend?  I'm truly overwhelmed by the fire hose of info on these sites.

I'd like to shoot in some military weapon matches just for fun.  My gunsmith headspaced it and looked it over, says I'm good to go.

Bill P

If I'm so smart - why am I not rich?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2018 at 8:37pm
Bill, welcome to the forum, this site has a wealth of info and is a great place to start learning. I recommend you start with a copy of U.S Carbines, Wartime Production by Craig Riesch, 7th edition. And if you really get hooked on Carbines The War Baby series of books By Larry Ruth are also very useful. Post some pictures, we love pictures.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2018 at 10:57pm
Hi and welcome to the forum from New Mexico!

I go along with Wayne. The Craig Riesch book is great source of basic part type and marking information. It generally will tell you what parts should be on your carbine. You can use the Carbine Club Data Sheet to record these various types and markings. Here's the link to the Data Sheet .pdf file and instructions:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/carbine-club-data-sheets_topic26.html

Obviously it will be necessary to disassemble your carbine to discover all the various part types and markings. The one thing you will need is a bolt disassembly and reassembly tool. It's use is described at the bottom of this web page:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/bolts.html

You can find this bolt tool online here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dprime-instant-video&field-keywords=m1+carbine+bolt+tool

Or here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/U-S-Military-M1-Carbine-Armorers-Bolt-Tool/371748703755?epid=1687507669&hash=item568df30e0b:g:ltQAAOxyaURTfjLy

Also, I would suggest not removing the front or rear sight as it's not necessary for parts identification. That goes for the gas piston/cylinder as well. These parts are usually staked in place and should be left alone. Everything else should be fairly straightforward.

Congratulations on your acquisition and have fun!
JackP
Nevinator View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nevinator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2018 at 9:05am
Welcome to the forum! You’ll find everyone here to be very helpful. I am also a new Carbine collector and was directed to purchase Riesch’s book. I had previously purchased Canfield’s book and later learned that there are numerous inconsistencies in that publication. The Riesch book is far more detailed and provides clearly written tables depicting the proper part types/markings by model. Good luck.🍀
 Post Reply Post Reply