Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Show Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

TMCA Exhibit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMTmonoMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 06 2018 at 6:50pm
GNBeret….were you at the Hoover Met gunshow in Alabama a few months ago?

I met the OP at the Huntsville show, and he seemed nice enough. I'll say it again, these little rifles are so special, they somehow remain beloved in a universe rife with frauds, and fakes.

It's also very sad how maligned, and disregarded Arsenal rebuilds are to some. I've found them to be the real gems of the carbine universe. This thread for a newb like myself is a stark reminder for why I don't even consider "originals", or "corrected" carbines at this point in my knowledge process. Luckily, I personally feel an unmolested Arsenal rebuild oozes authenticity, and can acquire them for prices that are livable.

Thank you tenOCEE, this might have been messy, but obviously it had to be done, and it serves a good cause.
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 04 2019 at 12:54pm
Just a note, I have a Winchester that is an arsenal rebuild by Underwood, I couldn't ask for a better gun, when I got it, it was pristine, and still is. I too think of an arsenal rebuild as indeed original to the time. The guns where manufactured, then later they where rebuilt, all part of their war time history. If we are going to call them Mixmaster's, lets do so with a little respect, interchangeable parts where part of the plan from the beginning.

One thing I've noticed when buying anything, If the seller claims he is an expert and you don't need anyone else, that's when it's time to put boots to the floor and leave, otherwise you are about to get screwed. A real expert will offer his humble option and leave it there, you can take it or leave it, if he talks about others, it is usually straight forward and what you need to know.
Just my two cents.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2019 at 9:34am
The good part is that arsenal rebuilds have a known history you can see and can sorta be prove/assumed. Carbines in correct config usually have no visible cues to tell their story. I don't even know how an arsenal rebuild could be humped? Do you take a correct Carbine and install a bayonet lug and an adjustable sight? Do you stamp a .U. or AAK on the stock and passes it off as a rebuild? People do that on fake M1A1 stocks, but never saw someone do it to a USGI stock.
WJH1958 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WJH1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2019 at 3:51pm
Will you be at the upcoming Tulsa show i believe it's Wannamaker if i spelled it right - i would like to see your carbines and meet you - i've just gotten into this - thanks, Bill H
WJH
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2019 at 8:48am
I don't think he (GNberet) goes that far.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2019 at 9:46am
Most all USGI M1 carbines are good or great at some level, although there's definitely some manure level ones out there too. Also, personally to me anyway, these things are original only once and that's when they left the factory that produced them originally. Trying to assign original status to them again when they are rebuilt is something I have an difference of opinion on, but perhaps that's just me. Please don't get me wrong, there are lots of nice rebuilds that are awesome shooters, but taking that an extra step to original status is a stretch I believe.
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 06 2019 at 12:38pm
Maybe a new word is in order because original can mean different things at different levels, I worked in the automotive repair field for 50 years, when something was as it was when It came from the factory, that is exactly what we called it, "Factory".  Rebuilt, modified and custom are other descriptive words for something other than Factory, just a thought.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12