The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stamp on stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stamp on stock
    Posted: Mar 19 2018 at 8:17pm
I am a new member. About 23 years ago I inherited an M1 .30 carbine. It got put away and now I have brought it out and have become keenly interested in it. It's number is assigned to Quality Hardware and it has a Rock-Ola barrel. I need help with a few questions please.
There is a partial stamp on the right side of the stock near the grip that is supposed to be a rectangle with the following letters inside: C-S AA. What does this stamp mean?

With it came a few hundred reloads in three types of boxes. Some are printed Markell Reloads, Lake City Ordnance Plant and there are many boxes with the lids missing. All are fifty round boxes. They still look good but can they be used? I have yet to shoot the rifle.

Also, there are many 15 shell clips, some still in packages. Are they legal in California?
I would appreciate your help as "I get started" with this fine piece of history.
Thank you.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2018 at 8:29pm
SAA is San Antonio Arsenal . The C presumed to be the initial of ordnance inspector.

Shell Clips? Like speed loaders or actual magazines?

Others will have to chime in on the rest.

Welcome to the forums!
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2018 at 10:10pm
Welcome,
Do you mean 'Stripper Clips' ?

Each held 10rds..

I've seen a set of 5 sell for $10.00

Living Free because of those that serve.....
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2018 at 10:28pm
"there are many 15 shell clips, some still in packages. Are they legal in California?"

Don't know ??
Is it legal to 'Say' Legal in California ?????????

I replied to quick to your post.

To New Members:
Rule 1: Post picture of Carbine, before or as one is asking a question.

My apologies to the Moderators and fellow membership...... Confused

Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 5:51am
Welcome to the forum.  As stated above, pictures will help to get some answers.  Do you know the history of the reloads?  I'm going to guess that your 15 shell clips may be 15 round magazines.  A simple Google search of M1 carbine magazine will answer that question.  If they are mags and you're in California then you'll need to figure out the legality but I suspect you won't like the answer.  Suggest starting by looking at Proposition 63 passed in 2016 and I believe it went into effect last summer.  
Good luck!

Good luck.
pacjon View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 4:05pm
Yes, I failed on Rule #1. New user, what can I say, but I apologize. I am working on the photographs. They are 15 round magazines as show on the carbine at the top of this site. Now I understand a clip/magazine over 10 rounds is illegal in CA. I'll try to get some photographs posted so I can get help on the stock stamp and the ammo. Thank you for your patience with this new user.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 20 2018 at 4:33pm
Hmm, I wonder if this would be of help?

What markings are on your magazines?
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 21 2018 at 5:48am
Note in the topic listed above that a NY member referred that NY made it illegal for an individual to alter a firearm, or magazine, in any way.  Make sure of your laws. With that said you may have to buy some 10 rounders.  There are several suppliers and so far the ones from KeepShooting seem to have the best reviews. http://www.keepshooting.com/m1-carbine-10-round-magazine.html  Currently out of stock but you can get on their back in stock notification list.  Maybe some other members know of a good supplier.  Depending on what mags you have and the shape they're in you can probably sell them to cover the cost of 10 rounders.  Just a thought.  As requested above, what markings are on your mags? 

P.S.  Here's an article on the 'grandfathering" of previously owned mags.  Does anyone know of a more recent update? http://www.nraila.org/articles/20170630/california-court-block-s-enforcement-of-recently-enacted-magazine-ban
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 12:12pm
Pacjon, Does look like a San Antonio Arsenal rebuild mark. Is there a P in a square anywhere on stock?

Mags,
IA was made by Autoyre for Inland. base should be flat. If you look close you may notice a bump from the letter A marked on the inside. If you are comfortable opening plate you will see provided the plate has not been swapped.

IU was made by International Silver for Underwood 

SW there is some misinformation on. Some say it was made by Seymore products for Winchester, others say made by Stanley Works for Winchester. Bill Ricca is very knowledgeable on government contracts and is a long time dealer in surplus. He states that it is a spares contract from Stanley Works.

As to the ammo, somebody else may be able to help.
pacjon View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 10:18pm
I don't know the history. It was part of the "inheritance package." I haven't shot the rifle but I am ready very soon. I have to think about the reloads. The photos are now posted thanks to the help I got from New2brass.
pacjon View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 09 2018 at 10:20pm
I actually have 25, 15 round magazines as show in the photograph. Fortunately, I also got 2, 10 round magazines.
Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 10 2018 at 9:51am
Take all of the 15 round magazines and put them in a shoe box. Put that box on the top shelf in your closet.  DON'T tell anyone they are there.  Some day when you are FREE of CommieFornia you can take them out and use them.  Until then you can only use the TEN ROUND magazines.  Enjoy the Toy.
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image