The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mildew

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote He Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mildew
    Posted: Mar 14 2018 at 12:12am
I was recently given a cleaning kit correct for my Saginaw, does not appear to have ever been issued and looks clean.  But, it smells of mildew.  Stuck it in the garage for about three months to air, and it still smells of mildew.  I would rather not was the new look away, so what is the most effective way to eliminate the odor?  Thanks.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2018 at 5:51am
I assume you are talking about the canvas "case" and if so that is a good question.  I have one that smells much stronger than any mag pouch or other canvas surplus item.  I put mine in a bread bag since they are good at being air tight.  I also had some NOS small parts envelopes which were really strong and like you, I left them out in the garage for months and even threw them out in the sun on occasion.  They finally aired out some. What I don't know is if the smell is mildew or the MRT impregnates used to prevent the mildew.  I've read where a lot of folks associate it with the later.  Other than that I didn't try anything else but if you Goggle "WWII canvas smell" you'll find some suggestions. 
Good luck!
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2018 at 7:57am
Worth a try. I or rather my wife puts smelly things in an air tight bag with a lot of baking soda in a warm dry place or out side on a sunny day. Give it a sniff occasionally and if necessary, renew the baking soda. Good luck.
Charles
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2018 at 10:43am
Was it a mag pouch we are talking about?
Sun and fresh air is natures antiseptic.  Too much Sun can fade the fabric.

Many reach to bleach. Bleach must be diluted as it needs water to work. However this would also potentially lighten the fabric. I would avoid bleach

A few years back we bought "High Efficiency " front load washer and dryer. I had noticed my clothes had an odor, especially if humid out.  Basically water would sit on the door seals and was a breeding ground for mold or mildew. The solution was to add a cup of white vinegar to a wash load once a month.

A quick search shows a 1 part vinegar to 10 parts water to wash the canvas should help.  Rinse with warm water and thoroughly dry.

Now I have not tried it with canvas so suggest you search Mold +vinegar to make your own decision.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2018 at 4:46pm
Frebreze spray.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2018 at 6:32pm
With books and manuals that have a nicotine smell, I have put them in a plastic bag with newspaper in between the pages. It helps pull the smell out of the book, and transfers it to the newspaper. I have never tried it with canvas, but it could be worth a try. Change out the newspaper periodically. The baking soda idea is also one that is worth a try.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
He Dog View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote He Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2018 at 11:59pm
This is a canvas cleaning kit case.  I also snooped around the net, and the majority of suggestions are for baking soda, so I will give that a go.  I searched for "WW II canvas odor," and among other things discovered some actually like it.  I can only conclude this is not the same as the odor making them nostalgic.  Whether it is the waterproofing I cannot say, only that it smells like mildew.

I appreciate the help guys!  :o)
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2018 at 8:43am
Everything we were issued was treated with a chemical that was meant to resist the elements and particularly  mildew and water proofing so don't be afraid to give it a good airing out. The worst was sleeping in a tent all nite with that smell.
I say again, give it a good treatment of baking soda.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply