Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Acceptable "Approximation"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwsem1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acceptable "Approximation"
    Posted: Mar 04 2018 at 5:57pm
I understand the tables in Craig Riesch's book are approximations regarding markings, upgrades, etc... but what is acceptable in your opinion for the approximate serial numbers listed in the table?

For instance; Winchester changed to Type III bolts around SN 5,800,000. Could their next block, starting at 6,449,868 still have used some type II bolts or would they have sent remaining bolts out of the factory by then?- is it 'acceptable' for a Winchester over 5,800,00 to have a flat bolt?

Regarding cartouche stampings- Winchester changed from WRA/GHD and crossed cannons to crossed cannons only circa 5,580,000. That block of SN#s continued to 5,834,618 Same question- could that cartouche be found later on that block of serial numbers until supplies were exhausted? If so, what's 'acceptable'?

Just a few questions from a novice member. Thanks, Ron
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2018 at 3:23pm
You must remember that parts were in bins, so last in first out. Anything was possible before, during & after change over periods. The CCNL's can give you more info about change over periods.
Glenn
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2018 at 6:45pm
5.8 million sounds so great that a switchover took place! however if Reisch it is just an approximate.
First round bolt showed up in 5.7 range and both round and flat were common up till 5.729xxx with round bolt most common after 5750xxx.  So yes 5.8 and on I would expect to see a round bolt. I would not expect to see a flat bolt in 6 mill range. But never say never.
As Glenn pointed out there may have been some in bottom of bin. You have to asses the carbine on the whole to establish if put together.
rwsem1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwsem1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 07 2018 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

You have to asses the carbine on the whole to establish if put together.

I understand thanks. Since I don't have any local examples in a pawn shop or LGS, I contacted Cabela's to have one transferred to Baton Rouge so I can make a trip and hold one in my hands. Hopefully they'll let me at least field strip it so I can use the guide book to go through one in person. $26 bucks in shipping and a trip to the city is an acceptable price for an education, IMO.

It's a 'ragged' 3rd block Inland with U./ P-U stock and UEF/GHD-Crossed Cannon cartouche. It looks like it hadn't been touched in a very long time. I think there's a varnish on the metal or oil that's long since dried to a crud. The pictures weren't great but it's had the normal (post) WW II arsenal or unit armorer upgrades-type II rear sight, rotary safety, type III magazine catch, type III AI barrel band and type III RIA front sight. No overhead photos so I can't see if the Inland date on the barrel matches the receiver but I suspect so.
 Post Reply Post Reply