Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Butt Plate Markings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butt Plate Markings
    Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 6:05pm
I need identification of a butt plate.  Since I'm ignorant I'll start here.  This plate is currently on a Jan 1944 Korean return carbine.

Please someone give me a time frame for when this type was used.  Thanks

Exterior view

Interior view
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 8:41pm
Start here. It is not a mater of when but who used that plate. Pic is not clear enough for me to see on my device.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/buttplates.html

Road Rat View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Road Rat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 8:50pm
Thank you.  I was sure I had seen that some where but couldn't find it.
Retired USAF MSGT
Alumni SAFSP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 8:57pm
Just click on top banner with carbine on it and it will bring you to our main pages. On left there is a menu where there is a ton of info.
to get back click discussion forums.

Try pulling the camera back, try to be perfectly square with the buttplate.  you can then crop to get best picture. IN help section there are a few tutorials on how to do that if you need help.
swamprat View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swamprat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2018 at 12:19am
Post should be moved to part identification not IR subform

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2018 at 8:33am
It looks like a poor attempt to resemble a late Inland or more like an early Winchester as far as the dots are concerned but that is it. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 26 2018 at 5:01pm
I find it easy to find out what I DON'T have and can usually narrow it down to just a couple that I could have. Some of them are obvious, but some shared butt-plates. Saginaw and Inland used the same butt-plates in some cases. If it's stamped...piece of cake. If not, they can run together if you look at them too long.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 27 2018 at 8:12pm
How lucky can you get!

I needed a better-looking Saginaw/Inland butt-plate. I ran across this guy on ebay that had a box-full of used surplus plates. He would only commit to pulling one out and never committed to trying to get what you wanted. I ordered one on a guess....guess what, I received a good used Saginaw/Inland butt-plate.

Like I said...how lucky can you get!
 Post Reply Post Reply