Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Rock-Ola that started carbineitis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Rock-Ola that started carbineitis
    Posted: Feb 11 2018 at 9:11pm
It‘s been a rainy Sunday and I thought I would do a Datasheet on my first carbine back when I thought just one would do.  It’s a Rock-Ola I got nearly 4 years ago.  It came with the receipt from when it was originally purchased through the NRA Sale in March 1964 for $20. It’s a 6.2M serial number with an undated Rock-Ola barrel.  It also has a blued, looks almost black, round Rock-Ola bolt with Rock-Ola extractor and firing pin.  According to Riesch and War Baby! it is correct.  Stock is a nice Type I RMC that unfortunately had the high wood cut down and is fitted with a Rock-Ola recoil plate.  Can make out the crossed-cannons on the right and it has an O.G. on the left side.  Perhaps that’s where it got fitted with the milled adjustable rear sight and bayo lugged front barrel band.  Also I suspect that may be where the trigger assembly was also changed.  Any chance the arsenals did a drop and swap with ready to go trigger assemblies since it now has what appears to be an almost new/refinished S’G’ housing with a U trigger, I-I hammer, unmarked M2 sear, M mag catch and flip safety.  All the parts are pretty shiny. Other outliers are a really clean AOB slide and a two rivet RSG handguard.  All of which could have come through Ogden.  Here’s some not-so-good indoor pics of the carbine that started the “illness”.  I also include a pic of the receipt and tag.  I redacted the owner’s name.  (Learned that word from watching too much news lately.) It’s nothin’ fancy but I like it.  There’s just something special about that first one.

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2018 at 9:14am
Agree sling00, there is something special about the (1st), in my case it is a 6 digit Inland from the CMP. That is really neat that you have the receipt and tag from the original owners purchase.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2018 at 11:46am
Here's a couple pics of the trigger group.  Only hammer strike mark on the housing aligns with this hammer. Perhaps it was re-arsenal/re-finished?  Also on the grip of the stock it looks like a P1 next to the larger P.  Any thoughts?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2018 at 1:46pm
can you post a better picture of the slingwell marks.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2018 at 3:38pm
Here ya go.  Not sure how this 6.2M ended up with a T1 stock. 

Post Reply Post Reply