Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This one has been around!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This one has been around!
    Posted: Feb 10 2018 at 4:40pm
NPM 1st block.

Does anyone care to weigh in on this one? (pics to follow)
It has two proof p stamps on the handgrip. It has two rebuild stamps on the right side of the replacement stock. It has an import stamp on the receiver. And it has two distinctly different finishes on the barrel.
Could it be:
   After WWII, rebuilt by Raritan Arsenal (RA on stock). Proofed. Put is storage.
   Sent to Korea 1950s.
   After Korea, rebuilt by Mount Rainier Ord Depot (MRM on stock). Proofed again. Put is storage.
   1978, sent to Israel as one of the 10,000 carbines provided via Foreign Military Sales program.
   1990s, Imported back to US by GFCC Corp of CA., A subsidiary of Old Sacramento Armory, who was known to import carbines from Israel. (GFCC CO SACCO stamp on receiver). 
    Refinished by GFCC Corp with the barrel band still in place resulting in two finishes; one under the band, and one outside the band location. (This is sort of a wild guess on my part). Band is pulled back toward receiver in the photo.
   GFCC Corp released carbine into the civilian market, and eventually into my hands.

I really enjoy trying to track these things down. 

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2018 at 4:46pm
that two tone may be from how you explain it, however I have seen a few where the front unexposed surface had a patina and much smoother from excessive cleaning. Some to the point that you can feel a change in diameter of the barrel at that point.
 Post Reply Post Reply