Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hand Stamped Carbines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rikkn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hand Stamped Carbines
    Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 8:29am
Something most buyers ( and sellers ) don't know about are the late hand stamped carbines. I know a little about them, and know to look for them, but is there any info on how many there were ? Changes in value ? I have 2, will post pictures of them when I get back in town.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 10:45am
This is mentioned more than once in the Carbine Club Newsletters. It mentions the serial range where these are seen.
The hand stamp took place when Inland started filling contracts for M2 carbines while still producing M1s. The roll mark was just absent the number. When assembled they would just hand stamp the 1 or 2 depending on what was assembled.
there is a slight premium to collectors who appreciate such things. Will let others comment to just how much.

What you will quickly learn around here is that we love pictures. Looking forward to seeing them.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2018 at 6:13pm
Handstamped Inland carbines are something akin to stepchildren, some love them, while others tolerate them and some simply stated don't care about them. They are sometimes mistaken for rebuilds because of the bayonet lugs and adjustable rear sights. They are sometimes even fraudulently presented as M1 marked when they are actually marked M2; dang that once a machine gun always a machine gun thing! Collectors tend to forget that they are as close to a brand new carbine as they will ever see since they may have seen little to no action.

Lots of things to think about when purchasing a handstamped Inland, the good, the bad and maybe the ugly?
Detroit-1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroit-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2018 at 9:16pm
Here's mine. Iwas going to post pictures but it keeps saying they are to large. Other sights have no problem. Whats going on?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2018 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by Detroit-1 Detroit-1 wrote:

Here's mine. Iwas going to post pictures but it keeps saying they are to large. Other sights have no problem. Whats going on?

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/registration-help-rules-tutorials-new-member-introductions_forum11.html

First few threads have help on sizing pictures.

Basically if there was no limit on photo sizes we would run into bandwidth problems.
For forum posts a 720 x 720 picture is large enough.

If you cannot edit the pictures send them to me and i will resize and put into your file manager

Dan@uscarbinecal30.com
Detroit-1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroit-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2018 at 8:25am
Thanks but I'm to old to be jumping through hoops to enter a picture. I'll just stay to the sights where it's easy.
DonFromTexas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonFromTexas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2018 at 9:26am
I had the same reaction as you when I joined this group, but finally overcame the problems and figured it all out.  My take is that why don't sites just add some photo editing software in their program to resize to their own desires?  Photos are cheap and important, so that would enhance the forum.
Retired US Army Officer
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2018 at 10:36am
Most forums charge or get revenue from advertisements.
We do not collect dues nor do we want to be slowed down by annoying ads.

Many forums you need to use 3rd party hosting.

Problem with 3rd party hosting is pictures disapear which is detrimental to our research.

Further i offer to those who have issue to format and post for them.

Sounds like a lot of benefit for no cost.

Hope you stick around to see what the forum has to offer
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2018 at 6:55pm
I open the image in PAINT, select RESIZE and PIXEL, then change the largest of the two numbers to 1000. The other value changes by itself. If you changed the largest number, the other will be less than 1000. Then it's just UPLOAD and submit.

I've had  a number of hand stamps, but can take or leave them. Because I want everything, I'll have to keep one.
Detroit-1 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroit-1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 25 2018 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by tenOCEE tenOCEE wrote:

I open the image in PAINT, select RESIZE and PIXEL, then change the largest of the two numbers to 1000. The other value changes by itself. If you changed the largest number, the other will be less than 1000. Then it's just UPLOAD and submit.

I've had  a number of hand stamps, but can take or leave them. Because I want everything, I'll have to keep one.
This is my point I don't even know what paint is.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 26 2018 at 7:05am
I use an iPad app to do the resizing. Had to try a few until I found the easiest one. So far the easiest one is Photo Compress.
 Post Reply Post Reply