The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grease

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grease
    Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 7:39pm
Got to thinking just recently about lubricants--namely, GREASE. Has anyone on here had any experience or occasion to look into the use of "Plumber's Silicone Grease" on firearms--specifically, slides? It sure does stand up well to water and seems to do admirably at its job--to lubricate sliding parts. Would appreciate hearing any pros and/or cons from the membership.
Although I'm a fluid power engineer by trade, I've never used silicone grease on anything other than faucets and in water-proof wire nuts for splicing electrical wiring. Stuff is expensive enough, though. H-
Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things... You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 10:47am
I like white lithium grease for my firearms. I have one that specifically calls for it on the bolt.
Is the plumbers silicone grease more viscous at room temperature? I am not familiar with it. 
halbert View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 2:27pm
New2, the plumber's grease I use is pretty viscous stuff as you might expect, being it's job is to resist H2O. If you want to check it out, I buy mine at Lowe's Home Improvement. You'll find it in the plumbing department with the tools, torches, solder, etc. The trade name is "Gunk" and it's marketed by Radiator Specialty Co. out of Charlotte, NC. Comes packaged in a fifty-cent piece diameter sized, white plastic cup. (about 3/8 inch thick) Pretty expensive for the amount you get. I expect that I could find it at a better price if I just took the time to shop it. It is a "white" (clear) grease and I find all sorts of uses for it--especially where you don't want the risk of staining.
     What white silicone grease do you use and where do you buy it? I see all sorts of it on line. Like I said previously, there are wire nuts (again, available at Lowe's) that are filled with white silicone grease. I use them to waterproof splices in the wire of my buried "dog fence". H-
Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things... You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 8:41pm
Hmm, i do not think i would want to use a grease that could slow the action. Sounds like the stuff i use on O rings for water tight camera or pneumatic tools.
Lithium is not a silicone, that i know of came into use in WW2. It sticks to metal well,has a high melting temp and resists moisture. It is very thin and alittle goes a long way.
I started using it when i was a mechanic. A light smear was put on the back of brake pads to prevent harmonic squeaks.
Other greases would attract the brake dust and then create squeaks
Great for hinges and other things as well.
Auto store has small tubs cheap. I think permatex has it in small tubes.

Probably available at HD next to the silicone grease
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2018 at 4:38pm
I've been using TW25B, an extreme performance synthetic grease made by Mil-Comm Products Co. After reading a review, I bought some for my AR, but now use it on all my guns. Not cheap, but one tube will probably last a lifetime.

halbert View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2018 at 5:23pm
Well BEB, you are right about the not cheap part. At $142.00/pound, it's right up there with Kobe beef! Probably is an excellent grease and that half-ounce syringe would likely go a long way. Like Kobe beef though, I'd probably feel guilty about partaking. I love my firearms, so perhaps I wouldn't feel too very guilty, though. Right now I'm inclined to go with the silicone. Wink H-
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2018 at 5:59pm
When I use grease on firearms, which is not very often, it is shooters choice all weather high-tech grease. This grease was recommended to me by a retired Ord. Maint. Officer turned gunsmith, who worked in the infantry weapons shop aboard Camp Lejeune. He built me a couple of awesome 1911's and this is the grease he swore by for the slides.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply