The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from western NC IBM owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utgrad74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from western NC IBM owner
    Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 3:03pm
Just a note of introduction from Steve Bennett a proud owner of an IBM CORP M1 carbine S/N 3853334 that was carried by my father, Ralph Bennett, during WWII. It was actually brought home by him at the end of his service in late December 1945 and has been in our family ever since. After this intro message I will attempt to download three files for forum members review, they will include select pictures of the carbine, another is a brief history of my fathers service and the carbine itself since being in the family and lastly a copy of the datasheet that was sent in to the forum for filing into their records. I appreciate the opportunity to share this information with members of the forum and hope they enjoy the history of this man and his M1 carbine.
Thanks for letting me join.
Sincerely,
Stephen R. Bennett/ utgrad74
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 5:00pm
Welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to reading about your dad and seeing your carbine.
Thanks for sharing.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 5:29pm
Welcome. looking forward to the story and pics
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 6:11pm
Welcome to the forum.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
utgrad74 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote utgrad74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 9:55pm
I finally got all the other information transferred to jpg files which took me longer than I thought. So anyway here is the History and Datasheet I agreed to share.
Hope you enjoy.
Thanks for the welcomes I've received so far they are appreciated. If I can answer any questions please forward them to me and I will answer if I can.
utgrad74
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 10:07pm
Steve, welcome back! Great to see the article about your IBM and father posted here! Thanks for sharing!
utgrad74 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utgrad74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 10:15pm
Thanks! I'm glad I finally got it done. My Dad deserved the tribute as do all military personnel who have put themselves in harms way. I appreciate the valuable help you provided me many months ago. Hope to be more forum active going forward.
carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2018 at 11:10pm
Thank you very much for sharing. Fantastic looking carbine with some very interesting family history behind it!

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2018 at 5:26am
Absolutely fascinating. I really enjoyed reading it this morning.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2018 at 8:53am
Good looking Carbine. Great story, thanks for posting.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Dave Tennent View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Tennent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2018 at 9:12am
Steve, thanks for taking the time to share the story of your Father and his carbine. That stock looks amazing!
Dave
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2018 at 10:24am
Thank you very much for sharing an amazing story. As a recipient of my navy dads M1, I know how much knowing the history of your dad and his weapon means.
Charles
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

halbert View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 7:25pm
Great post on your dad's IBM, utgrad. Just a little curiosity on my part, but what wood is your stock made from? It looks very much to me like it could be Birch or even Maple--although I understand that Birch was used as Maple wasn't. Although considered a no-no, the finish you did on the stock looks great. What did you use as a finish--you didn't say in your write-up. Looks a bit to me like one of my favorites, a Tung Oil finish, which does well when smoothed with steel wool and easy to repair.

Although a Virginia transplant, I'm originally from Western NC--Marion. You anywhere near that burg?

Great write-up on your dad and his M1 Carbine. I'm working on an IBM right now myself that I picked up over 40 years go. Keep 'em pointing down-range. Wink H-

Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things... You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less.
utgrad74 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utgrad74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 08 2018 at 9:34pm
Appreciate your kind comments and very glad you read and enjoyed the write up on the rifle and my Dad.
As for the stock you are correct in your evaluation. When I came to my senses as I grew older and decided to try and make it as close to original as I could. I again stripped off my earlier refinish results and used pure Tung oil, multiple hand rubbed applications to try to simulate what linseed oil might have created. I did not use any stain so the natural grain of the wood shows through nicely. As far as variety of wood used by Trimble Nursery, based on what I've read, used black walnut during the time period this rifle was made. However I think it looks more like the grain pattern of birch that I have seen in forum and website pictures. Maybe other forum members with more knowledge in this area could chime in on this topic. The individual handguard pictures I have look more like black walnut grain to me, and I have read they were not matched to the stock during manufacturing so wood types for the 2 components could be different. I will provide a few of those photos on a subsequent post and readers can decide.
BTW I am in the beautiful Hickory area of western NC.

Please look at these alternate views of my handguard and stock. Lighting is slightly different than those posted already. Is it walnut or is it birch or is it one of each. Please comment they are welcome.     
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 8:57am
MY money is on walnut. A little light for American walnut but the character of the wood is definitely walnut. Linseed oil would have made it darker.. Still, it is a very beautiful piece of wood.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

halbert View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halbert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2018 at 1:47pm
Utgrad, in my previous post I meant to mention the handguard. The grain is so much more "coarse" than the stock appears, it struck me as possibly being walnut (I grew up with wood and the discussion of wood. My father came from a long line of furniture people--Drexel, Henredon, etc.-- and I was steeped in the subject of wood from an early age.). Although walnut usually has a darker appearance, there are often areas of lighter wood in most trees of appreciable size. The "poenness" or coarseness of walnut grain contributes to its darkness when treated with finishes such as linseed and especially when it picks up residue from the hands of those who handle it--grease, dirt, etc. The fine-grain of woods such as birch or maple doesn't absorb these things as readily as does walnut.
     The stock of your Carbine (first pictures you posted) reminds me of the stock on a French made, MAS, .22 cal. training rifle I own. I re-finished it much the same as yours--with Tung Oil. If I ever get my camera working again, I'll try to post a picture for you. The wood is very similar in appearance to your stock. I have "guessed" that the stock on my MAS trainer is French walnut or even birch, but I really don't know for sure. And BTW, the picture just posted of your stock has me thinking walnut. Sorry, I don't mean to confuse the issue, but the grain appears more open and appears darker than in your first pictures. I realize the lighting is different. Leave it to me to mess up the discussion! 

Enough about wood. Don't want to take us  too far astray from the forum purpose--M1 Carbines.

I know Hickory well. Took flying lessons there, wayyy back when I was still in my teens--like 1955 or so. H-

Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things... You cannot do more; you should never wish to do less.
 Post Reply Post Reply