Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1 Carbine Magazine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onlineshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1 Carbine Magazine
    Posted: Jan 22 2018 at 9:50pm
Can you guys take a look at the pictures and give me an appraisal of the magazine? There are no stamps or markings on it. It is very solidly made, and, since I paid $15.00 for it, I'm guessing that it is a copy of the real thing. I have read that there were some of these made by the U.S. government without markings, so I am hoping that I scored lucky on this one. Thankswithout markings, so I'm hoping I scored lucky on this.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 6:00am
Welcome to the forum.  I do wish I knew more about the 30 rounders but only what I've read which isn't much.  I'm fairly confident there will be other members along soon to help out. In the meanwhile here's a discussion by the CMP from 2007 if you haven't seen it already (BTW, it opens as a .pdf so don't be looking for a web page.)  Also post a pic of the follower and baseplate.
onlineshooter View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onlineshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 9:30am
Ok, here is a picture of the follower and baseplate. My information was gleaned off the pdf article you had posted.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2018 at 1:09pm
That's a pretty nasty looking mag, don't think I'd feed my M1 from it, ha ha. Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

He Dog View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote He Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2018 at 12:21am
It certainly needs cleaning.  Watch your hands, those that are not hardback have a tendency to cut.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2018 at 12:41am
Post a pic of the top front rib. Also the slots on back of mag where it bends
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2018 at 9:06am
It's been my experience, unless your willing to take a chance at not having to do some work on a newly purchased mag, I suggest taking some cartridges along to test the feeding before purchasing. Load the mag and with your thumb nail, try ejecting them. If they hang up on the guides, put it back and try another one. All mags are not created equally unless your lucky enough to find the real thing .
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

onlineshooter View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onlineshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2018 at 10:27am
Charles, I took your advice and the ammo does eject without hanging up on the guides. I have now fired my carbine with the magazines in question. 30 rounds loaded in each, and no hiccups after firing. Comparing the magazines to my KI-M2 marked magazine, they seem to be built actually slightly better with a slightly better steel gauge.

Unmarked U.S. government contract magazines from the 1970s? South Korean police magazines that were imported? I don't know the provenance but they apparently are good shooter magazines.

Now, to give them that long overdue cleaning!
 Post Reply Post Reply