The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from California-In South Korea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Seabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from California-In South Korea
    Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 8:28am
Hello all, Just got activated to post and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Dan, A mobilized Reservist serving in South Korea. Looks like a great forum here, looking forward to learning more about the M1 Carbine. Thanks!
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 8:59am
Welcome aboard! At least where you are now, you can enjoy guns. By the time you go back home to California....you may not be able to own one, or be highly restricted if you do.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 9:15am
Welcome to the forum. This is definitely the place to learn about the carbine.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 9:27am
Welcome and thank you for your service.  If you haven't done so, you can click on the banner (carbine with sniper-scope) at the top of the page that'll take you to the reference site. You can read up on all kinds of interesting facts.
bonnie View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 9:46am
Hello and welcome.

Curious on what Korea is like now. I was there in 1971-72 stationed at Camp Page, an army artillery camp close to the DMZ. The ROK soldiers all carried M1 Carbines or M1 Garand rifles. Very poor country at the time. I understand they have prospered over the years.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 1:26pm
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy!
A Seabee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Seabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by bonnie bonnie wrote:

Hello and welcome.

Curious on what Korea is like now. I was there in 1971-72 stationed at Camp Page, an army artillery camp close to the DMZ. The ROK soldiers all carried M1 Carbines or M1 Garand rifles. Very poor country at the time. I understand they have prospered over the years.

I was here in the early 80's, wearing a Marine uniform, and it was still a very poor country. Dirt roads, binjo ditches and deep V cut canals where human waste and garbage went, tiny streets full of bars and whorehouses, people eating dogs. probably hadn't changed all that much from the way it was right after the war.

Totally different now- they have the fastest internet in the world, bullet trains that take you all the was from Busan(Pusan) to Seoul, an amazing subway system, incredible industry. Ship building, construction, roads. But the more things change, the more they stay the same. They still sell mink blankets and love a lot of American stuff. Kia makes 2 1/2 ton and 5/4 ton trucks that will make you do a double take. People still eat dogs, but more people keep em as pets now. Motorcycle cops still ride Harley Davidsons. People still grow their own cabbage and vegetables, and make kimchi. You still can't take pictures of certain things. They have 6 story department stores with 6 stories of underground parking, selling $2500 Montblanc pens and $10,000 sets of German brushed aluminum luggage. Oh, they (I) love coffee! This place is a coffee drinkers paradise. I read the other day that Seoul has over 20,000 coffee shops. I'll post some pics when I figure out how.

This is a huge fashion/design building in Seoul

the pic at top is the Seoul subway map
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2018 at 3:52pm
Sounds a lot like Manila PI when I was there, open sours, whores walking the streets and eating dogs. Now, thanks to our help,USA, it is a beautiful place again.
Welcome to our forum.

Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2018 at 4:27pm
Thanks for update.  I know the replacement steam generators for PWR nuclear plants are fab'd in South Korea.  Maybe with the new interest in American industry the US can once again get into heavy fabrications.  Look forward to learning more.  
A Seabee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Seabee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2018 at 5:13pm
PI is still 3rd world in my opinion. Sad though. After WW2 they were on track to financial and industrial success that would have rivaled Japan, but then Marcos came along and created the Philippines that we know today.

I was there when that super typhoon hit Tacloban. what a mess. they only had like 6 trucks on all of Leyte to distribute food and move crews for repairs, body clearing etc. It was found out later that the officials had been pocketing money for years.

But, I do love the Philippines. People there are really nice, despite many being dirt poor. And there are some beautiful beaches and tourist destinations that are affordable. I'm actually considering living there in retirement some day, at least part time.
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 18 2018 at 6:33pm
     I was stationed at Camp Casey 7th Div / 7th Avn in 1960/61, have seen many pics of how it is now, wow, really BIG change.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2018 at 9:40am
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply