Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

IBM CARBINE BOLT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: IBM CARBINE BOLT
    Posted: Jan 15 2018 at 1:55pm
does anyone know if its possible for my early 1944 ibm to have a flat bolt and be correct?
mike
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2018 at 2:36pm
Riesch's book has Type III round bolts in IBM @ S/N 3,900,000.  NL-7 says all IBMs found above 3,898,000 were round which pretty well matches up with Riesch. I'd go with that.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2018 at 3:42pm
Use to have an original 3.88 IBM with an AO receiver. The bolt was round, blued and a had pointed right lug.

Markings

AOB (upside down) on the right lug
H on left lug
G below left lug
T3 extractor marked W-B
T2 ejector tip
T3 blued firiing pin marked WB (underlined)
No gas port hole
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 12:29pm
my serial number is 3949745 doesn't sound like it has the right bolt? 

why would someone switch it to a flat bolt?
mike
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 12:49pm
I suspect they made the assumption carbines were all initially issued with flat bolts and didn't review any references.  That is only a SWAG.  

BTW, if you suspect the bolt has been changed out then you may want to check the headspace unless it was previously checked out.
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 1:05pm
i haven't taken it apart yet, and didn't buy it as a shooter, as it is that clean, but i do plan to strip it, to see if the internals are correct. further posts to follow. i will say one thing, after owning a few auto ordnance repro's, this thing puts them to shame, and they were brand new! thats how nice it is!

all the external markings check out to ibm, and they even fit in the proper time frame, except the bolt.

if i do decide to shoot it,  should i replace the bolt, or just check the head space, and where can i find the proper tool? thanks again everybody for all the help!
mike
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 2:07pm
[QUOTE=mikeurbas] if i do decide to shoot it,  should i replace the bolt, or just check the head space, and where can i find the proper tool?QUOTE]

I do not think it would be necessary to replace the bolt in order to shoot your carbine. Checking the headspace is a good idea. You can get the gauges just about anywhere. Brownells is where I got mine. You can get by with just the field gauge instead of getting all three. I will suggest going with Forster gauges vice Clymer gauges, this is just my preference, but with the Forster gauge you do not need to strip the bolt in order to check the headspace, with the Clymer gauges you do.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 2:37pm
IBM started using round bolts about 12-43 so I'm think you could get away with a round one, with a possible consideration for mixed use.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by mikeurbas mikeurbas wrote:

if i do decide to shoot it,  should i replace the bolt, or just check the head space, and where can i find the proper tool? thanks again everybody for all the help!

There is no real need to run-duck-n-cover with a flat bolt. The N14's had issues and I would toss one of those without a thought, but bolts were interchangeable frontwards and backwards. As opposed to springing for gauges you may only use a couple of times, just use a commercial round and chamber it a few times making sure the bolt rotates and locks. You can take it apart, strip the bolt and do this by hand if you want to. If it closes and rotates, you have the most serious danger covered.....tight head-space. There are other ways to determine the no-go and field dimensions, but you need an accurate measuring tool for that.
If I'd ever had a set of gauges, I'd have lost them by now.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 3:35pm

why would someone switch it to a flat bolt?

There are several reasons why it has a   flat bolt.

It is likely that if it was "corrected" that the person doing so just used correct manufacturers parts, or read a book with inaccurate information.

Once we have pictures posted we can discuss the other scenarios
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 4:19pm
as far as checking head space goes, i have an a-zoom snap cap in it now. will that give me any indication of whether there  is proper head space, or do i need to either chamber a live round or use the field gauge, which i dont mind buying.

one other question, how do i tell if i have an n14 bolt? thanks for all the help everyone!
mike
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 4:45pm

one other question, how do i tell if i have an n14 bolt? thanks for all the help everyone!

I could have been more specific. National Postal Meter marked their bolts with and N and a number on the left bolt lug. I have had one crack and the more one scours forums and notices, the N14 turns up cracked more often that others. I have a friend and member of this forum doing a study on cracked N14's now. He will determine where they are soft or hard and what may have caused the numerous cracks reported. If I had a gun with an N14 in it...I'd just go ahead and replace it with a USGI or Post War contracted round bolt.

You need to ascertain the "exact" length of you laser-sight plug, from the rear of the case to the end of the case mouth. That dummy round should have a ridge on it where the case-mouth would contact the bottom of the chamber. Perfection would be 1.290, which is the go-gauge. Regardless....measure this distance. If it is shorter than 1.290, you can add pieces of scotch tape and build the base up to a point where it will not head-space (no-go). Most well-fired carbines I own/have owned no-go at 1.297. This sounds Bubba, but a razor-blade or a pin-knife will trim-off the excess tape and render a shim that matches the case rim.

You can also pull the bullet on a loaded round, measure the case-length on that round ad do the tape thing. Don't use a fired round, but there would be no problem firing the primed case in the gun to be safer if you desire. The fired-primer should not deform the case like a loaded round does.
mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 10:19pm
think i just buy a no go gauge.
mike
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 5:56am
There are several discussions on the forum regarding headspace.  Might want to do a search and peruse through them.
Typically folks use a Field gauge for headspace and the GO, and NO-GO gauges for new barrel installations. Using a NO-GO may cause you to declare a rifle unsafe when it really is still good to go. If you're unfamiliar (and as a good refresher I use since I still get them all mixed up) here's a link to CMP explaining headspace: http://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/headspace/  
And lastly, I have a link stored somewhere that I think was a CMP forum discussion specifically on the M1 carbine headspace. I made a .doc of some of it for reference.  Again this is people like us writing down a bunch of info so take it at face value but I remember them quoting Kuhnhausen's "Shop Manual" as a reference for some of it. Here's some interesting numbers in those posts:

1.277"---observed shortening of cases loaded originally at 1.280" and then fired
1.280"---trim to length-one common length
1.280"---normal factory loaded ammo case length
1.285"---trim to length-another common length
1.290"---trim to length-another length given sometimes, but a dumb one
1.290"---maximum allowable case length
1.290"---GO gauge in that the bolt has to close on Forester and Military
1.290"---GO gauge at Clymers's stated length
1.291"---GO for actual Clymer that was measured
1.296"---NO GO for Forester
1.296"---NO GO gauge at Clymer's stated length
1.297"---NO GO for actual Clymer that was measured
1.299"---FIELD for Forester
1.302"---NO GO for a military gauge
1.3xx"---FIELD for a military gauge
I am told there is no USGI FIELD REJECT gauge which simply means what they call a NO GO is actually a FIELD REJECT gauge.

mikeurbas View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeurbas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 6:13am
so what i really ant o get is a field gauge, if i can locate one.  i am also going to see what bolt i have, and replace if need be, if i do decide to shoot my ibm. thanks everybody!
mike
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 7:11am

so what i really ant o get is a field gauge, if i can locate one.  i am also going to see what bolt i have, and replace if need be, if i do decide to shoot my ibm. thanks everybody!

Yep...as stated by sling00 above, the field will be the longest gauge. If it closes on a field-gauge, it's deemed unsafe to fire.

Gauges can vary in actual length and everything machined has a tolerance of some kind. The gauges provide a rough-and-accepted safe-unsafe evaluation. If you ever want to truly know exactly what the head-space is, you have to measure it in detail. You don't plan to fire this gun much-at-all, so this likely is not a concern for you, which is just fine.

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 7:27am
From the previous discussions above and in other topics I would be leery of using an N14 bolt.  If not an N14, look it over closely and use it for a shooter.  I did a quick search for .30 Carbine Field gauge and it looks like everybody has them on backorder.  I saw a couple places estimating 2-3 week delivery.  Shop around...I saw prices fluctuating ~$7 but I didn't check shipping which can be a deal breaker.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 8:54am
I like shortages of anything for the M1. Demand of carbine stuff is an indicator that the little gun remains popular. When you can purchase 7.62 x 33 at 38-special prices....that has to be a good thing and you can usually do that if you shop-around.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 17 2018 at 1:49pm
Mike, did you buy your carbine from a local gun shop? If so perhaps they have the gauges necessary to check the headspace and you can save some $$. Also, since your carbine sounds to be unused, take comfort in knowing that the original Carbine Committee required a number of extensive tests during manufacture that, among other things, verified interchangeability and, as far as I am able to research the subject, found no serious problems with headspace. The bolts were meant to be interchangeable, at least when new. Used or worn bolts should definitely be verified with the proper gauges.
JackP
 Post Reply Post Reply