The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Member from Metro Detroit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomfitz1037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Member from Metro Detroit
    Posted: Jan 15 2018 at 8:45am
My father passed last year and left me with this 1943 M1 Carbine.  It is in great condition.  As the stories go, a good friend of his brought it back from his time in F Company of the 101st Airborne after his time in Bastogne during the Buldge.  I knew the man and still know his son's and I know for a fact he was there during the war. A farmer in Bastogne found his mess kit and looked him up back in the late 70's.

Data sheet posting.

Tomfitz1037
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2018 at 9:30am
Welcome to the forum.  Sounds like a great carbine.   If you get the chance put up a few pics.  Looking forward to seeing your carbine. 
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2018 at 7:45pm
Tom, Welcome to the forum. As sling00 stated, we would love to see pictures.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2018 at 8:06pm
Welcome. Would also like to see pics. Pretty cool about the mess kit.
tomfitz1037 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomfitz1037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 12:37pm
I uploaded photos on my profile page.  I do not know if I can up load photos to the message board here can I?

I also tried to up load my data sheet, but it said it was the wrong file type.  I am uploading a PDF which is on the approved list, but I keep getting errors.

I am not very familiar with this type of forum board, so any help is appreciated.
Tomfitz1037
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 12:52pm
To add pics to your post you have to use the Full Reply Editor which is the conjoined squares with the arrow in them.  Then click the Insert Image button and go find it.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomfitz1037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 1:06pm
Tomfitz1037
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomfitz1037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 1:14pm
Tomfitz1037
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomfitz1037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 1:16pm
Tomfitz1037
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomfitz1037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 1:23pm
I also have the original OD green case, and purchased a sling and oiler with butt stock pouch last week.
I just need some magazines!  
Based on the serial number the time period fits the story.  There is some wear on the rifle.  Finger groves have been slightly sanded or carved into the stock.  Did the manufacture do this as part of production or would that have been done by a soldier in the field.  Since i spent 14 years in the service, I can see how guys would do this with a weapon that was assigned to them.  Especially during a time of war.

Tomfitz1037
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomfitz1037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 1:24pm
Thank you Sling!

Tomfitz1037
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by tomfitz1037 tomfitz1037 wrote:

Thank you Sling!

You're very welcome.  Glad I could help.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 16 2018 at 3:26pm
In regards to thanking a member, look above there post to right and click thanks. They receive points that way.

What you have is a Quality Hardware.
Only part QHMC made was the receiver.
From your picture it appears that your carbine has been though a rebuild where they upgraded the barrel band, rear sight, flip safety and mostlikey the mag catch. The stock has been replaced.
Looks to be a very nice shooter.

If you click on top banner you will be directed to our main pages. Click on post war ops to learn about the rebuild process.

Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomfitz1037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2018 at 12:06pm
I am not doubting you, but I am trying to learn more about the rifle.  What are the indicators that you see, which brings you to the conclusion it, or parts of the Carbine have been rebuilt?
Tomfitz1037
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomfitz1037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2018 at 1:23pm
Reading through the rebuild and parts, it is pretty clear that the bayonet style barrel band is an indicator that this was a rebuild.  Since the butt stock has no markings, I would have to assume the rebuild took place over seas?  

Also I have a stamp of HI on the upper wood stock that would indicate it was not the HQ used by Quality.  Very interesting read!  Thank you very much!

BTW, what part of CT do you live?  I moved back to MI from Uxbridge MA about a year ago.
Tomfitz1037
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2018 at 1:43pm
Tid bit of interesting info if you didn't already know.  You're carbine has been "rebuilt" to include the rotary safety (except late Inlands and Winchesters may have had them). Riesch stated in his book field reports that with the original push safety, soldiers were sometimes pushing on the magazine release instead of the safety. That makes for a bad day in battle.  So they came out with the rotary type.  This is just one aspect that makes carbines so interesting.  

Do you have any reference books?  No one book is totally correct but I like my Craig Riesch "U.S. M1 CARBINES, WARTIME PRODUCTION".  For me anyway, it's simple and easy to follow.  I do have several penciled in corrections and notes thanks to the folks here on the forum.  Just part of the quest.   
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 19 2018 at 5:23pm
Tom, the stock might be marked on the inside. Check the rails up near the nose of the stock for the letters SA.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomfitz1037 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2018 at 2:59pm
Found it!  There is an HI stamp on the upper and SA on the lower that I had missed because it is so small and in an area that is somewhat discolored.

Thank you very much!
Tomfitz1037
 Post Reply Post Reply