The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New 256 owner intro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New 256 owner intro
    Posted: Jan 10 2018 at 9:54am
I picked up a 256 Ferret recently.  It had a 30 carbine magazine, so I found the correct magazine online and just got that.  Picked up the last bag of new brass in existence apparently at a local gun show.  Hoping to reload some rounds this weekend with Sierra 87 grain SPT.

Gun is in mint condition with optional front and rear sights.  I'm still trying to figure out what year it is.  Serial # is 464XXX

Hoping to load ammo this weekend and shoot within next two weeks.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2018 at 11:01am
welcome to the forums! I am guessing the barrel is not marked with a date or new made.
6 digit if USGI is an Inland from early to mid 43. It would of originally had an Inland dated barrel as such.

There are a few threads on different calibers also in newsworthy section there are some old advertisements for some of the calibers. I personally know very little about them.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2018 at 12:34pm
It sounds like you have a later Universal. Possibly Model 1256 or maybe a Model 2560. They were sold in the late 70's early 80's time frame. Here's a link to more info on Universal's 256 Ferret.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_Universal256.html
JackP
Justin76 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2018 at 3:36pm
It says "256 Ferret" on action. It is a Universal Firearms.
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 10 2018 at 4:57pm
Any chance you could post some pictures? I'd be interested in the optional front and rear sights and how the scope is mounted. Also, does it have the ventilated metal hand guard? Thank's for sharing!
JackP
Justin76 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2018 at 8:00am
It does have the perforated metal handguard.  It does not have a scope mounted, but it looks to have 4 holes drilled in side of action to allow for a side mount.

I will get some pics of both sites and those 4 holes.  It won't be until this weekend, though.
Justin76 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Justin76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2018 at 8:08am
I attempted to fire the gun for the first time Saturday.  I loaded some new Jamison 256 Win Mag brass with IMR4198 and Seirra 85 grain bullets.  The primers stumped me as i found 3 older reloading books and Hodgdon's website that all said to use small rifle primer, but being that it is technically a 357 necked down, i was wondering if it should be a small pistol primer.

I went with small rifle primer.

I had 2 no fires.  Firing pin hit both primers, but neither went off.  I waited a minute and pulled them out.  I had some other guns to test, so i put this one away.

So my question for everyone:  do i have a firing pin issue or should i have used small pistol primers, which i understand to be "softer" and more receptive to firing pins with lighter pressure.

Any input is appreciated!

-Justin
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2018 at 12:46pm
Recommend using the primer specified for the load.  Different ignition/burn rates for pistol versus rifle primers resulting in different pressures.  So were these the only two you tried or did some others fire?  Can you post a pic of the firing pin indentations on the primers?  Any chance of checking headspace?  See "Headspace Gauges" at bottom of page... http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal256.html
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image