The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear Sight Windage Setting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear Sight Windage Setting
    Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 4:46pm
Does anyone know why most carbine rear sight windage adjustments have to be set to the left of the rifle's centerline in order to zero. All of my carbines are set at least 1/16" and some as much as 1/8" left of the centerline of the receiver? Others have made the same comment but so far I haven't seen an explanation. Not really a problem, but is this a design artifact or an accumulation of tolerances or a result of the manufacturing process? Just curious.
JackP
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 7:02pm
JackP
After reading your post, I removed the stock from my Saginaw S'G' and placed a straight edge along the sides of the receiver. The difference at the muzzle (just behind the barrel band slid up to the sight) was .1615 on the left side and .2420 on the right side. If I'm not mistaken this would necessitate moving the site to the left. What do you think?
Charlie
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 8:11pm
On my Inland, which is offset the most (1/8"), I measured .170 on the left and .200 on the right. However, I was only able to take my measurements mid-barrel because it has a Type 3 barrel band. If the barrel is straight, the .030 difference would not account for the nearly (correction) .125 offset. Perhaps the barrel is bent, but more likely it is canted to the left due to the barrel and receiver mating surfaces not being perfectly square. Also, although the left and right side of the receiver may look equal distant from the center-line of the barrel, they may actually be different. The right side has sliding parts that have to fit properly and was probably held to tighter tolerances. The left side doesn't matter . It just has to fit into the stock. It would help if there was an original dimensioned drawing available that we could check. I suspect that there is some misalignment that is a combination of things, to include receiver and barrel square, barrel straightness and tolerance stack.

By the way, there is probably some similar built in vertical variation, but we don't notice it so much because nothing looks "wrong". We just fix it by filing the front sight.
JackP
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 9:08pm
This brings to mine, when I had a gun smith switch my flip sight to an adjustable he said it looks as tho the base of the sight is not centered because something wasn't even. It was too far to the right and I had to adjust the windage almost tight against the left side. I didn't like that so I hammered the base more to the left and after zeroing in at the range the graduations are nearly lined up.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply