Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Winchester M1 Carbine value

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylorattorney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winchester M1 Carbine value
    Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 3:28pm
barrel band stampbarrel stamp
Greetings all. I have this Winchester #1,333,240 that is in very fine condition and appears lnib.   My colleague acquired it when he retired from the Army and has traded it to me.   I’d like to get your opinion as to its value: the barrel is like new no markings that i can see. The bore bright and crisp. The rear sight stamped. “IR Co. 7160060”. The magazine release stamped “W wa”. The stock has the letter J on the left cheek piece and the letter J and cross canons in the sling well left side. No other markings that i can see. Underneath the receiver is the letter “R” and what looks like a reverse F. The hammer is stamped “W”   The inside of the wood handguard is stamped RMO? Your input will be much appreciated.
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 7:57pm
Welcome to the forum. Nice carbine that is a typical rebuild, with a mix of parts. The serial # was stamped on December 7, 1943. Stock is a replacement & the RMO, is actually RMC, for Rock-Ola, Quality Hardware & IBM carbines. The hammer 'W' is White Sewing Machine Co.. Type 3 stamped rear sight. Yours would have had all early Winchester parts.
Glenn
Baylorattorney View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylorattorney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 8:27pm
December 7? Thats kinda sweet. Thank you sir.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 8:57pm
Welcome to the forums

Stock is a war time replacement by Jewel. You do not show other J on cheek piece. Are you sure it is not a .U.
Barrel should have a WP Winchester proof mark as well a W which may be on top of barrel covered by the bayo lug
If absolutely no marks on barrel then pictures of the gas cylinder and breech may tell more of the story.

In care and maintenance section there are video links on how to strip down the carbine. Almost every parts should be marked.

Hope that helps some.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylorattorney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2017 at 9:11pm
Yes a “u” since it looks like a reverse J.

Its visible in the fourth picture.
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylorattorney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2017 at 10:48pm

Thanks for your input.  I found the barrel stamp right where you advised it would be.  Is that a double strike?  Also I have added a photo of the stamp on the bayo lug barrel band "W" tot eh original post.. thank again.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2017 at 11:21pm
Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing pictures of your carbine.

Step 1 (optional) - If possible, take it apart and note the other part markings.
Step 2 - Have it checked by a qualified gunsmith unless you are one
Step 3 - Shoot it
Step 4 - Enjoy
Step 5 - Repeat steps 3 and 4
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylorattorney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 12:53am
So it is a "shooter"?  I want to be on the safe side... the stock and sight make it as such, correct?  I will take it apart once the right tools come to hand and document each parts' mark.  Thank you. I just cant keep enough 30 carbine ammo on hand...  lol.  
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 7:39am
No! If your not sure, take it to a gunsmith & have it checked out. Better safe than sorry.
Glenn
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baylorattorney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 8:42am
I dont mean is it safe to shoot. Ive fired it several times. Im wondering if this gun is worth keepoing in a safe vs enjoying the heck out of it on the ranch?
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 10:36am
Enjoy, while you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2017 at 11:25am
interesting is the barrel band. it is believed to be post war and not reported on production carbines with the exception of the 'Box of Ten" that may have been from the Winchester Museum. I believe two of the 6 known carbines from that box had the W.
It appears the W is "In the white" meaning raw metal exposed. can you confirm that?

I do have a thing about odd markings, yes the PW is double struck.
To determine if that is a Winchester or White Sewing hammer you would need to remove it from the housing.

the slide, trigger, sear, bolt and other parts should be marked. The trigger housing may or may not have obvious marks. But if you want to look it over or take pictures we can tell you what you have.

all USGI carbines have value these days, but as you point out the upgrades steer it from "Collector Value"

here is where you can find a data sheet to download and print if you want to record all the parts.

Post Reply Post Reply