Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Type 3 Hammer ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Type 3 Hammer ???
    Posted: Dec 07 2017 at 9:31pm
Could use some help. I pick up a Inld. carbine mix master. It had a type 3 hammer with markings  Q.U. . Cant find any info on it in the War Baby  or any other book.  Would this hammer be for Quality H.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2017 at 10:31pm
Q.U. would be Utica Cutlery for Quality Hardware. UC would be Utica Cutlery,a wartime replacement hammer.

I cleaned up my original post, there's a reason not to post before one goes to bed.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2017 at 5:42am
Apparently there have been a few Q.U. as discussed in NL 382-18.  I found a web site which has Quality Hardware Type III hammers were marked "HN" "IN" "AQ" "Q.U." "NHTE".  However I don't know the basis for their list.  
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

I found a web site which has Quality Hardware Type III hammers were marked "HN" "IN" "AQ" "Q.U." "NHTE".  However I don't know the basis for their list.  

What website is that? Got it all wrong! "HN"  "NHTE" are  hammers seen in NPM with the "IN"  really being NI for Inland.
I have never seen an "AQ", maybe the letters are transposed? there is a Q.A. hammer which was made for QHMC. ( I need one of these)

Just because something is on the internet does not make it fact. The internet does however make it easy for people to repeat bad information.
Books sometimes get it wrong as well. I am sure most collectors here have margin notes in their books!

The "Q.U." is the debate. As you say it is mentioned in CCNL 382 which shows a Q.U./U.C hammer as a field replacement in an early Inland
The U.C. is known for Garand bayonets made by Utica Cutlery. I am guessing the font is what sets it apart. The article goes on to say that there were original late Underwoods reported with the Q.U. hammer, further that a third was reported while writing the article and information was provided on that late Underwood as well.  So check out pages 18 and 20 of CCNL 382

Brian Quick is a well respected carbine guru that has authored many of the CCNL articles. He contends that Q.U. is for QHMC in an online post. As far as I know he did not provide any evidence to confirm this to be fact. 
I would expect at this timeline that if made for QHMC the hammer would have been marked U.Q. instead.

In general parts are marked sub contractor to prime contractor. This just makes more sense, if anything carbine marked can make perfect sense.
 However early on we see with QHMC most often has it has markings reversed. An example is early on QHMC hammers and triggers were marked Q-LT  but soon were marked LT-Q. For a very long time trigger housings were marked Q-NL and late they corrected it to NL-Q.

It is the use of a Q and a U which makes it confusing. Which is which? Quality did not make the hammer. So was it "Q" whoever that was make the hammer for Underwood?
Utica Cutlery is a listed subcontractor of hammers for Underwood. They are not listed as a subcontractor for QHMC.

Straight hammers were needed in vast quantity to replace the dogleg hammers to correct trigger pull. As mentioned above there is a Q.U./U.C hammer. The thought is that Utica Cutlery was making hammers under contract for Underwood and had a surplus to the contract. They then obtained a "spare parts" contract directly to make hammers. Utica took the excess Q.U. hammers, lined them out and then applied U.C. to identify the hammers as made by them for the contract.

So the question is why if for Underwood would they use a Q as an identifier?
Looking at Underwood subcontractor markings we see some quirks as well. UU was used on magazines from Union Hardware for Underwood.

Universal Windings made bolts for Underwood marked W.U. Hammers WU, Slides WU and receivers with a W on bevel.
It is easy to see that they just used the second part of the name "Windings" for the W.
United Shoe also made parts and used "S" for Shoe.

Howe Machinery and Petroleum Heat & Power made bolts. There were bolts marked HU and CU. Both contractors has an "H" in their names, neither a "C" We do not know which is which.
 Why not use PU? Is it because Underwood had a subcontractor Parker Wire goods that used PU and Underwood wanted to avoid over used of same marks on different parts?

Look at the "B" marked receivers which are from Singer. Why "B"?

My theory is that Q.U. was UtiQa for Underwood. Again just a theory based on the fact that Utica was a subcontractor to Underwood and not QHMC. This coupled with the fact that they have been observed on a few late Underwoods.

What say you?

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2017 at 6:53am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

What website is that? Got it all wrong! 

It would be nice to have a consolidated list of parts markings or an abridged Index for the CCNLs that have this info.  Any chance one of those already exist? 
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2017 at 9:03am
Look at CCNL available thread which is a sticky at top of every section.
gunsdora View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gunsdora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 10 2017 at 4:11pm
So If I got all of this right  Wackothe hammer would be for Underwood.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2017 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by gunsdora gunsdora wrote:

So If I got all of this right  Wackothe hammer would be for Underwood.

Like I said the Q.U. hammer was observed on 3 late Underwood carbines believed to be as left the factory with them. This is where it hurts when people 'Correct' carbines

evidence suggests it was made by Utica Cutlery. Only Underwood had a contract for hammers from Utica.

I have heard no evidence in favor of it being a QHMC subcontracted hammer other then one very knowledgeable persons statement.

So until there is compelling evidence I would say it is probably for Underwood.

Now the lined out and U C added would be a war time replacement for any carbine with an earlier hammer.

Now my question to everyone, Has anyone observed a hammer with just a UC mark? 
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2017 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by new2brass new2brass wrote:

Now my question to everyone, Has anyone observed a hammer with just a UC mark?

I think the UC hammer is a pretty common wartime replacement hammer. I received a blued T3 (shiny blue not black) marked UC (only) from the CMP
 Post Reply Post Reply