Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oiling and Lubing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oiling and Lubing
    Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 11:49am
I have my Universal all apart to replace the recoil springs, in the process I've cleaned everything thoroughly and am about to take it to a gunsmith to inspect and certify it safe. Before I reassemble it I want to be sure it is properly lubricated, I have a good idea about how and where but I don't want to miss anything. I've looked on line and can not find a good illustration of lube points, also are there places that require gun oil only and are there places that require grease, if so, what kind of grease, where, I've seen grease used on the M1 Garand, does this also apply to the carbine?
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 12:18pm
JEM292 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEM292 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2017 at 9:15pm
Thats quite a useful manual, thanks for posting it.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 5:39am
While we're at it, if you don't have it there is also a Technical Manual, TM 9-1276.  This is the 1947 version.  There's a 1953 also but I can't readily find a link to it.

Regards
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 8:38am
Wow that's some manual, and it's in such good readable shape for as old as it is, everyone should down load their own copy, this is excel ant. Thank you sling00, if you happen to find the 1953 version I'd love to have a copy of it also, never seen something like this before, just great.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 10:12am
As luck would have it I found the address in a previous post.  It's not quite as good of pdf but here's what I have.  It is a 21M download. Try:
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 11:20am
sling00, your link to the 1953 version did not work for me, not sure if it worked for anyone else. Here is a link that I found it on. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 2:33pm
Hmmm.  I found it didn't go to a site but if I highlight the entire address, right click on it, and use the "Go to http://..." it downloads the pdf.  Looks like the same copy you found. Sorry about that. 
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 15 2018 at 10:53pm
I read another post here recently about disassembly of parts to record markings for the data sheets. He commented while apart may as well clean everything thoroughly, then he said he always fallows a rule of thumb he was taught, "if it slides, grease it, if it rotates oil it". Now that makes more sense than most of what I've seen or heard and is easy to do and remember. He didn't mention what grease to use, but I imagine it's light weight and has good hot/cold weather tolerance. You don't want it to melt in hot weather, and you don't want it to harden in cold weather. You may want to visit your local auto parts store, they would have what you need, they have greases with bases from lithium to silicone, just read or ask about the properties of each and what's best for your carbine, or go on line.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 6:45pm
I came from a backgound were we just had a bolt action 22 rifle in my family, and little of anything else, my mother wasn't to hot on guns. But when we did go shooting we just grabed the gun and away we went, lube, we do that when we are done sometime. We didn't have any experience with semi automatic rifles and how to take care of them.
I searched the manuals for lube points, and none said to use grease at any point, instead it says use a light rust preventative oil. Back then they emphasized lubing the bolt lobes and all the channels the bolt and slide uses. Also interesting they say to lube the carbine before firing, as well as after. This should interest another thread on broken parts.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2019 at 9:01pm
It's my contention, after a very thorough cleaning, a light coat of oil on everything and a dab of grease on areas that rub together especially the back of the lugs.  I use a product called RIG from Universal including the bore. 
When you are ready to shoot, run a dry patch through the bore first.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2019 at 8:44am
Interesting, I can see putting a little grease on the bolt lugs and the trigger parts, but I don't think I would put grease in the bore unless I was going to store the rifle for a long time, i'd be afraid of grease getting into the piston. I do use a light coat of oil in the bore, the bolt lugs and the slide lug, slide rotation cam and channels are the most critical and a little oil on the extractors. Don't forget the slide  where it rides on the barrel.

Here is the list from the 1942 army manual:

M1 CARBINE LUBRICATION POINTS BEFORE FIRING

(From the 1942 M1 basic field manual, Red high lights are mine).

UN 14. PREPARATORY TO FIRING. -The following procedure before firing insures efficient functioning of the carbine:

a. Dismount main groups.

b. Wipe oil or grease from the bore.

c. Thoroughly clean and lightly oil all metal parts. Use light preservative lubricating oil.

d. Apply a thin, uniform coating of light preservative lubricating oil to the parts listed below:

(1) Bolt lugs (locking and operating).

(2) Bolt guides.

(3) Cocking cam on bolt.

(4) Gas piston.

(5) Contact surfaces of barrel and operating slide.

(6) Operating slide cam.

(7) Operating slide guide groove in receiver and barrel.

(8) Operating slide spring.

(9) Operating slide spring guide rod.

CAUTION: Do not apply oil to the under surface of the bolt, as the introduction of oil into the chamber may lead to the generation of excessive pressure.

e. Assemble carbine and rub all outer surfaces with a lightly oiled rag to remove dust.

Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
 Post Reply Post Reply