Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

SA M2 Stock with Crossed Cannons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SA M2 Stock with Crossed Cannons
    Posted: Nov 14 2017 at 11:02pm
This is an M2 stock with the typical SA markings in the slingwell. The wood appears to be dark stained birch as opposed to walnut. The stock is like new.

On the right side of the stock forward of the slingwell is this:

The subject of Springfield Armory having or not having a reason to put an Ordnance inspection stamp on an M2 stock has come up before. I'm drawing a blank, need some help. Plus figured it's a good post for future viewers.

If you don't have a headache yet, then spend some time looking at this hand stamp die sold by Numrich Gun Parts. Don't assume the mark above was made by a Numrich stamp as Numrich may have copied the original in detail. The pic below has been reversed so it would appear as the mark the stamp would leave for comparison purposes.

Note the SA stamp is absent the belt buckle which I believe was correct for SA crossed cannon stamps by the end of WWII.

Thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks

Jim
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2017 at 8:09pm
You can see that this has been double stamped, one on top of the other because of the slight misalignment, from what I've seen of these the inspectors did't care that much how well the stamp looks. Someone really wanted this stamp to show, I'm guessing fake.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2017 at 8:46pm
Just had a discussion with another collector and we're in agreement the stamp in the stock in question is fake. Made by a die from Numrich or one like it.

The design was likely intentional so collectors could spot it's a reproduction and not authentic. The keys on this particular stamp are the oval cannon muzzles and the U shaped cannon ball along with the U shaped cannon arm.

I need to correct and clarify my statement about the belt buckle not being part of the later Springfield Armory crossed cannons. Their stock dies had the belt buckle as shown on the many rebuild marks they did. The milled rear sights with the SA initials on the right sides often have their crossed cannons on the left side. These are absent the belt buckle.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply