Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi Wood vs Low Wood

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi Wood vs Low Wood
    Posted: Nov 09 2017 at 12:31pm
Can someone please clarify for me exactly what is meant by Hi Wood and Low Wood, why is one more preferable that the other. I've hear all kinds of explanations as to what that is, all are just confusing and all can't be right.
Please use pictures, this has never been correctly explained to me by someone who really knows.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2017 at 1:44pm
High Wood-Low Wood refers to the operating slide-rod opening in the stock, not the hand-guard. High Wood's were prone to cracking and they were converted to Low Wood during arsenal rebuilds. The "I Cut" High Woods are the most sought after stocks, or at least very popular. That style was dropped in favor of the common Oval Cut.

Universals usually had no opening at all when wooden hand-guards were used.

blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2017 at 1:45pm
Click on the big gun at the top of your screen. It provides a link to

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/stocks.html

and more where you can find all the info you seek
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2017 at 5:36am
Also on the aforementioned link you'll see discussion on the M2 stock which is worth a read if you aren't familiar with them.

Regards
blackfish View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2017 at 2:34pm
Can anyone explain the rationale for the "gap" between handguard and stock? It's another step or two or more in the manufacturing process, so why was it important enough to include? Was it an attempt at ventilation?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2017 at 9:24pm
The prototype winchester hand guard was not cut. If you look the material would be very thin. Most likely the wood would break with very little pressure.

I would guess that inland/springfield/overton decided it was less work to just remove the material.
The high wood was prone to crack as well. At some point they made stocks beefier. However it must have been a problem because durring rebuild stocks were to be cut down

Note, no I cut stocks were made low wood. could have cracked and repaired in the field or cut down durring rebuild.

I have seen repairs to high wood section with brass screws and others with thin wood dowels the size of a skewer. May be foreign fix or armored fix that missed rebuild. Dunno.
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2017 at 12:42pm
Thanks everyone, now I know, I was once told high wood referred to a pot belly stock, how wrong.

I have another question, which is better, a wood upper hand guard or a vented metal one?
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
 Post Reply Post Reply