Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

For The Man That Has Everything

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For The Man That Has Everything
    Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 3:21pm
Thought you'd seen it all....well take a look. This is a Universal that has been converted to bolt-action. Now you know what to do with that carbine you thought was not worth fixing due to a failed gas system or some other serious problem that renders it useless as a semi-auto. Just weld a bolt handle on the right lug.

carbinecanuck View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbinecanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 3:43pm
Very resourceful.

Chambered in a new round as well?  Doesn't really look like a GI magazine.
Courage is fear holding on a minute longer. - GEORGE S. PATTON
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 3:48pm
Looks like the trigger group has the 'plum' color as well, maybe from or was an import. Looking forward for more info on this 'conversion'.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 4:02pm
I think I would have to pass on that one at a gun show!
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 4:05pm
Chambered for the 7.62 x 33. There is no information on any such animal ever manufactured by Universal, so this must be a custom-job. I'd never seen or heard of one until I ran across this one for sale and have considered purchasing it as a novelty. That definitely looks like a Universal plastic magazine.  It has a full-length stock under the barrel out to the muzzle with a metal end-cap....definitely seems to have "European" tracks on it.

All-n-all, it actually may not be a bad conversion, if you have a gun that is not worth repair due to a cracked gas block or some other such malady that renders it useless as a semi-auto. Just toss the slide and the other unnecessary guts, plug the gas-port in the barrel and have a good machinist attach a bolt arm and fit it properly. I see no reason why this would not work on any carbine...GI or otherwise. Very Interesting!

Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 4:26pm
Huuuummmmm....... I have a spare GI bolt and I am sure a junked bolt-action handle lying about here someplace.  I have a very good friend that is a carbine gunsmith that has accomplished things for me that nobody else could....maybe he's reading this right now? Modifying a bolt for me may be his next project.Big smile

Don't worry guys...I have a couple of commercial carbines and spares. I don't intend to cut-up any GI parts, but this could be done for just a few $ and a lot less than the asking price for the complete gun.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 4:42pm
I'm interested in knowing the serial number on this carbine. Will help give a start date for the time period this was done.

War Baby volumes II and III mention a number of carbines converted to various different calibers. Very common back in the 60's and 70's as people tried for more powerful cartridges in the compactness of the carbine. Lots of businesses doing conversions back then.

My favoite was LeMag and their .45 Winchester Magnum conversion. Though labeled unsafe by many at least one owner in Alaska thought otherwise.

I settled on a Universal Firearms Vulcan carbine in .44 magnum. Pump action.

Jim
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 4:54pm
I have one of the 9's built by IJ and we both know a guy well-north of here that is presently doing a 7.62 x 45 Tok conversion. The Tok has the same rim dimensions as the 9 x 19. We've had a great time swapping parts and stories. He opened the face of a GI bolt for me to put in my 9. I have seen Winchester 9MM magnum carbine barrels for sale.

I will see if I can ascertain the SN on the subject gun.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 4:58pm
Jim....sending a PM.
manteo97 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manteo97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2017 at 11:16pm
Ha, can only be described as a mutant.

I've seen the gas piston welded up to allow single shot firing only to get around a "Restricted" classification up here north of 49. Seems a much easier way to make into a single shot.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2017 at 11:58pm
That would be a straight pull like the Schmidt Rubin!

Has anyone pondered why the slide, though modified, is still in the carbine?
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2017 at 12:50am
Universal Firearms carbines s/n 100,000 and up introduced in 1967 and made thru 1984 had a reversible gas piston to make the carbine a single shot with the slide manually operating the bolt.

Back in the 60's S&K sold a replacement piston that that blocked the gas port to convert the carbine to a single shot. Somewhere I have their advertisement but the pic doesn't show any detail.

Universal's Vulcan model carbine was a single shot pump action. The slide handle was eliminated as was the slide body. Instead the slide arm was attached to the foregrip to operate the action with the pump. The barrel had no gas cylinder. The reason for this was the energy of the .44 magnum they were chambered for wasn't exactly gas piston friendly. Later LeMag did conversions of M1 carbines to .44 magnum, .45 Win Mag and other large calibers without blowing the gas piston housing apart.

The tube below the barrel was a guide rod that contained a spring that pushed the foregrip and slide forward when the foregrip was released from the rear position.

Jim
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 10 2017 at 5:40am
Never seen one of those before.  Was there any issues with the rear sight attachment weakening the barrel?  I guess a couple small screws aren't that detrimental. 
 Post Reply Post Reply