Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for info on Presentation Case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmbarger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for info on Presentation Case
    Posted: Nov 05 2017 at 10:12pm
Hi I am new here and am looking for help.

I have been given a wonderful gift by my grandfather, the rifle he taught me to shoot with.

The particular rifle was one is the Secretary of the Navy Carbine Trophy he was awarded for being the best shot in his class at Annapolis.

He rarely used it over the years and it is in pretty good shape. I took it to the range just this weekend and is is still a pleasure to shoot.

When he received it it was in a presentation box. When He gave it to me the box was in rough shape. It was kind of falling apart and covered in layers of ancient tape.

It took some doing to remove all of the tape residue, and the finish under it was destroyed.
I was able to get it to bare wood and instead of re-staining I just oiled the wood and am very happy with the result.

The issue I have is with the inside of the box.

It nicely holds the Rifle the cleaning rod and two magazines.

The problem I have is I don't know what this small wooden box

and this spot that looks like is is for something specific.

With all of my searching I have only found one picture of a box like this and that was on an auction site https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/71/1578/documented-presentation-grade-gm-executive-inland-m1-carbine and it did not have any photos of the inside of the case. I have reached out to the winner of the auction to see if they had any information but haven't gotten any response.

SO I am calling for help here. Does any one know what these to spots are for? Are they to hold specific accessories? If so what?

Thanks in advance for any info you might have.

The below are a couple of the markings on the rifle in case anyone is interested.

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 1:20am
Wow, what a beautiful stock! Welcome to the forums!
The case you show is consistent with cased used for presentation carbines such as the one in the auction you had linked.
Member Ron Dalhamer observed a similar case at the OGCA in 2009.
Any signs of having a plate on the top?

the square section was to hold cleaning patches.

as to the other part you question I will have to do some digging to see if I can establish what that was for.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 6:22am
These are guesses based on limited experience so please view them accordingly.

The small box I think is for a rolled up sling sitting on it's side. I don't know what the other insert is for.

The display cases seem to have been different with each prime contractor who used them. This one is consistent with the wood, latches and build of others I've seen and have pics of that were used by Inland. The interior of the cases vary with what appear to be "modular" add on inserts such as the magazine holder and this small box.

The parts being of the type and quality they are I'm gonna guess Inland built the carbine and it's case for the Navy for presentation.

The bayonet lug shown in the pic of the carbine's right side isn't clear enough to be sure but the bayonet lug looks short. Appears to have 2 rivets instead of 3.

Also a guess that whatever the occasion this carbine was presented/won for the Navy wasn't presenting carbines like this for many if any other occasions. The build is consistent with the other carbines built at the end of the war for presentation. Using both early and late parts.

Jim

P.S. I've sent an e-mail out to a handful of collectors who have owned or currently own similar sets. Not all do internet. May take a few days.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 6:37am
Welcome to the forum.  What a great gift of a family heirloom!  The tiger stripe stock is superb.  I look forward to hearing more about it. Thanks for sharing.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 8:41am
Welcome to the forum, great looking carbine and really cool case. thanks for posting.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2017 at 9:04am
A magnificent piece of wood.
Welcome to the forum.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2017 at 8:51am
I heard back from Larry Ruth.

"... see WBIII page 1679 for photo of the Navy Carbine Trophy. I got this photo at the Springfield Armory but no other info was located. Anyhow, the small box holds cleaning patches and a 5 round magazine in mine. My guess is it was for the patches. I have no idea what the piece next to the barrel is for unless it was to help keep in place. Hope this helps. Larry"

The first pic below is the one on page 679 of War Baby III. The only info is in the caption below it and what Larry shared above. The second pic is the same carbine from the Springfield Armory photos. The pic wasn't published in War Baby III.

FYI, the forum scales down photos to the size you see below. Click on the link to see the full sized image.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forumpics/navypresentation1.jpg

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forumpics/navypresentation2.jpg

I checked the online archives of the Springfield Armory attempting to locate the pic(s) and any further information. Particularly the serial number of the carbine in the photos. It's not listed.

Please share a pic of the barrel band and bayonet on yours. The image you included above it's difficult to discern if the barrel band is a known protype that wasn't the final design that went into production.

Jim
Jmbarger View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jmbarger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2019 at 12:27am
Thank you for all of the info and sorry it has taken me so long to reply. Here is picture you asked about I think
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2019 at 1:55pm
Wow, that is cool. First experimental type 2 band w/short lug I've seen outside of the picture in War Baby. Thanks for sharing.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2019 at 2:49pm
Outstanding...
Cherish it and Thank you for sharing it with us !

Charlie-Painter777

To Add: Maybe that area was designed for a cleaning solvent, Lube oil, or small parts roll with bolt tool ??
Or..... Bayonet ?
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2019 at 6:12pm
That's awesome! Is the bayonet something different?  Meaning Something other than production bayonets?
Anyone know when the competition in 1945 would have taken place?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2019 at 10:08pm
War Baby III by Larry Ruth, p. 1093

"An initial experimental band fitted with a short lug was submitted by the Knape & Vogt Mfg. Co. After trials the bayonet lug portion was lengthened and, as noted on page 286 [War Baby I] the resulting Type 3 band was adopted on March 10, 1943." Farther along Larry indicates "Carbines so equipped were in production by October 1944".

Both the short and long lug versions are referred to as the Type III. Whereas War Baby I refers to the short version as Type II. Which I believe was a type assigned by Larry attempting to differentiate one from the other.

War Baby III illustration 1135 shows the short bayonet lug above the longer one, courtesy of Bruce Dow. The caption is "Left side views of two Type 3 front bands. Above: experimental Type 3 front band. Below: production version type 3 front band". "Accepted as standard 15 May 1944".

Illustration 1134 is "The mailer, addressed to the Winchester Repeating Arms Co., in which the experimental Type 3 front band was submitted by the Knape & Vogt Mfg. Co. on March 28, 1944." A sticker attached to the mailer indicates "Carbine Front Band Assembly - new style -" ... date on the mailer is 03/28/1944. No part number is indicated on the envelope.

I suspect the "adopted" date was when the design was adopted and the "accepted as standard" date was when the final version of the longer bayonet lug designated as the new standard.

Jmbarger, you have a very rare prototype bayonet lug. Which is not unusual for a "presentation" carbine.

Presentation carbines were built/assembled for the person, persons or occasion(s). Those that went to someone at the top of a corporate structure or similar tend to have more customization than those made in quantity as gifts to those lower than those on high. Special occasion presentations were made for the special occasion. All of them tend to have parts that were available at the time versus made at the time. To sometimes include the receivers. Prototype receivers and parts have turned up on a number of presentation builds. Not because that was being made at the time but because the parts were not going to be used on production carbines.

While many people have shot their "presentation" carbines they were capable of being fired but not always built with the intent of being fired. Such is usually the case with special presentation carbines.

The value of the various presentation carbines at the time they were presented was not with the foresight of what the value might be 50+ years later. The value when presented was that it was presented. The value now depends on a variety of things to include who it was presented to, the build with it's parts, current condition, etc. Unfortunately many have not been preserved over the years.

Yours obviously has that special value of having been presented to your grandfather as a top shooter while he was at Annapolis. No amount of money can replace that value though that special value is in the mind of the person who owns it and some people prefer the money over its history and sentimental value.

My recommendation is don't shoot it anymore. Maintain it and protect it. Preserve it as is with no part changes. Buy a different carbine to shoot.

It would be interesting to see the other parts inside the carbine as there may (or may not) be other experimental or interesting parts. Disassembling and reassembling a museum quality carbine obviously requires caution and care. Many museums prohibit it, therefore often hiding the history for which they have it.

I haven't posted the pics from War Baby III as they were provided to Larry by Bruce Dow. War Baby III does have a copyright owned by Larry and the publisher. The publisher is now deceased with the copyright being passed onto his wife. If it was just Larry I'd ask him for permission.

War Baby III is out of print. With no plans to print more. While it's not a stand alone novel, when used with the first two volumes it's a continuation of the research in the first two volumes and corrections. The publisher wouldn't do a reprint of either of the first two volumes so the third ended up being a catch all. For anyone doing serious carbine collecting the three volumes are a set to own.

I don't know if Bruce Dow has the packaging and prototype shown in War Baby III or obtained the images elsewhere. I took photos of Bruce's photos for Larry for WB III. The background in the original pics infers someone owns them as opposed to the pics having come from a manufacturer, Ordnance, etc.

Just a personal side note. At the time I went through the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Academy the top cadet in all categories assessed was deemed the "Honor Cadet". The Honor Cadet received a custom engraved Smith & Wesson revolver with the cadet class number and LASD badge and name. A common practice at many police and sheriff academies still done today. Those presentation revolvers were fully capable of being carried and used. But given the reason for their presentation most preserved them and put them on display. None of those match the significance of anything done at Annapolis. No, I didn't get the revolver. The fella who did earned it along with my respect. As has your grandfather.

Jim
Jmbarger View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmbarger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 12:16am
Thank you for the information. I have fired it several times with my grandfather before he passed and it is still a great shooter but now it lives on the wall. The only reason I might try to figure out a value is to make sure it is properly insured though as you say no amount of money would really make up for its loss. Do you have any recommendations for what I should do to help preserve it? I am not a collector but want to make sure I preserve it as a family heirloom. I would love to have copies of the books but I can't really afford what it would cost to get the set of War Baby books even if I could find them. Again thank you for all of this great information. 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 2:57am
Beyond condition presentation carbines can be difficult to appraise. The many handed out by Inland to various employees and affiliates of the company are different than those presented to one of the corporate managers. Inlands are more common than any of the other manufacturer presentation carbines.

Yours being a special achievement kind of presentation may make the value a little less but at the same time that it was at Annapolis may make it worth more.

It would be a good idea to put together some documentation on your grandfather and his time at Annapolis. Pictures being of big help. Info and pictures of where, when, and why he received it and him receiving it. All are important for preserving it's history. Add to this the information from War Baby on the presentation carbines made for the Navy by Inland. And where Larry got the info.

Larry welcomes calls and snail mail. He hates e-mail. If you called him or wrote to him and asked for information along with a signed copy of the relevant pages he'd probably be happy to help you out at no charge. In exchange for a few photos.

I'll pm you his contact info.

As for preserving the carbine it's simply a matter of keeping it clean, free from moisture, humidity, direct sunlight, etc. Doesn't have to be in a safe. A simple careful inspection every 6 months or a year depending on the conditions where its stored. Someone else might have better suggestions. Mine, because of where I live they stay in a safe with a safe dehumidifier. Inspected once a year.

How best to display it depends on how you want to display it. Just avoid anything that will scratch or wear on whatever part of the carbine it comes in contact with.

Jim
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 20 2019 at 3:08am
Originally posted by Jmbarger Jmbarger wrote:

Thank you for the information. I have fired it several times with my grandfather before he passed and it is still a great shooter but now it lives on the wall. The only reason I might try to figure out a value is to make sure it is properly insured though as you say no amount of money would really make up for its loss. Do you have any recommendations for what I should do to help preserve it? I am not a collector but want to make sure I preserve it as a family heirloom. I would love to have copies of the books but I can't really afford what it would cost to get the set of War Baby books even if I could find them. Again thank you for all of this great information. 

Jmbarger,

Your presentation Carbine is almost certainly worth $10,000, and perhaps as much as $20,000.

As far as preservation, I would recommend cleaning it, and not firing it anymore, if that seems reasonable to you. Of course, it's your family Carbine, and firing it has been a part of its family history. Most of the presentation Carbines are never fired.

I have a friend who owns a presentation Carbine, and his box is very similar, but there are some small internal differences. His does not have the small wooden internal cleaning patch box, nor does it have the bracing block that either touches the barrel, or is in close proximity to the barrel in your presentation case. It also does not have the magazine holder in the lid. These cases were likely made as one-offs, or in limited runs, with variation according to the whim of the designer.

I have included a photo of my friend's case below.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply