The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

new guy from Tennessee and his Bavarian M1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2017 at 9:25pm
Locations used by the Bavaria Police were fairly consistent with a few variations.

Last 4 digits of the s/n:

• Stamped into the rear of Trigger Housing at top

• Engraved, sometimes stamped, sometimes both into the top of the bolt

• Stamped into the right side of the slide arm between the handle and body

• Stamped into the slingwell

• Stamped under the handguard

Variations are:
  • last 3 digits instead of last 4

• entire s/n instead of last 3 or 4

• occasional random other parts stamped with last 3 or 4

• occasional many parts stamped with the last two digits of the s/n

Using the Bavaria Landpoizei as an example. We named them Rural Police. Their police force was large. Larger than the military of some of the smaller European nations. We eliminated their HQ in Munich and divided them into 5 regional districts. The police in each district answered to and were overseen by the civilian elected officials in that district. As in the USA. We directed the Landpolizei to handle all law enforcement within that district with the exception of cities having a population of 5000 or more.

Within each district the Landpolizei had the usual police stations and outposts. Usually dozens.

From 1945 thru 1949 this was the standard for Bavaria. Then imagine doing this separately with the Bavaria Border Police, Bavaria Forestry Police, Bavaria Game Wardens and Bavaria Prison Guards. Decentralization was the goal.

Putting this into the perspective of the carbines, care and routine maintence was handled at the officer level. Police armorer's were available within the region at one or more locations.

So what we see is how a particular regional district or smaller group within that district decided to keep track of the parts that go to a particular carbine. They were used to having to do this with their German rifles. Initially they didn't know all parts of the carbines were interchangable regadless of who made them or when.

This standard allows us to look at a carbine they used and see what pattern was used and if any of the numbers don't match or one of the usual marked parts is absent the usual markings. As with your stock and handguard.Indicating they were not the parts on the carbine when the Germans were stamping the numbers.

Jim
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2017 at 9:07pm
Hey CrowTalks Jim,

On your handguard, get somewhere where it's dark and have a flashlight with a good center focused beam and a magnifying glass. Turn the handguard bottom side up.

Along the flat area forward of the relief cut for the slide handle look close with the magnifier and move the light around at different angles. Oblique and reflected included. Also back off with the magnifier and give it a try. See if you see a small W there.

Started checking my handguards for something else and found several Winchesters had the same funny gouge mark in the barrel channel area. Both have the W but on one it's very hard to see without turning down the lights and doing as I suggested above.

Also check the the rest of the flat areas if you don't see

Jim
crowtalks View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crowtalks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2017 at 9:36pm
Ok, thanks I will look
crowtalks
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 5:22pm
I have a number of WRA handguards that have a random letter stamped in the channel, Types I, II and III. Of the examples I own I only find the larger W stamped on the right rear edge, these are all Type III 4 rivet. Otherwise I find the tiny W a few inches from the notch step on the left side.

The 2 Circular Router/milling cuts near the notch all show the outside circle overlapping the inside milling circle.

** About the OP's Stock. Does anyone else see a OI in the slingwell ?

Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by painter777 painter777 wrote:

** About the OP's Stock. Does anyone else see a OI in the slingwell ?

Charlie-P777

Yup
MilsurpsUSGI View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilsurpsUSGI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2021 at 6:56pm
Yes, I think so. - Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12