Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

USGI Armorers Gas Piston/ Nut Tool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: USGI Armorers Gas Piston/ Nut Tool
    Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 1:30pm
Would like to explore possibility of finding the above for purchase. Let me know if you have one & are looking to part with it.
Glenn
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 2:30pm
Have seen plenty on the internet.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 3:01pm
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 3:44pm
I believe USGI ones had a part number cast into them. Anyone?
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

I believe USGI ones had a part number cast into them. Anyone?

Not sure about a part #, the one I have which I believe is USGI has a K on the inside, like the one pictured on page 168 of Riesch's 7th edition. WB, Comes Home, says "samples noted have been unmarked or marked with a BP for Bay Products Corp, or with a K (circled M on reverse side) for Kingsbury Manufacturing."  
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 4:51pm
That's just the nut wrench. I'm looking for the 3 piece WW2 set. It's shown on page 171 in Riesch's book.
Glenn
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 6:01pm
Glenn,
The gas cylinder repair tool set, I think that may be pretty hard to find, but I may be wrong. I would buy that set if I ever saw it somewhere. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 6:23pm
This is what he is looking for.
Photo credit Ron Dalhamer 

The wrench up top is the M5. There are 2 or 3 known manufactures. I believe this is determined by the markings.

Wrenches without markings have also showed up. Without markings we have no idea who made them.

Point I was making is the above link shows no markings and one of them said GI. To be clear there is a difference between USGI. GI could be any government issue.

So its collecting vs having a tool that works.

As to the tool that USMCDOC is looking for, In maintenance section there are a bunch of youtube videos by a forum member Norwhich93.

Bottom video is how to use the 3 piece tool

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Point I was making is the above link shows no markings and one of them said GI. To be clear there is a difference between USGI. GI could be any government issue. 
Dan, agree GI could be any Gov issue, but I believe in the description in both the links I posted it states US GI, also if you look close towards the handle end of both wrenches pictured in the links you can make out a K stamp. 

Those are great youtube videos by Norwhich93, very informative.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2017 at 8:23pm
Thanks! I'm not to concerned about manufacture, just functionality. I let someone borrow mine and somehow it never showed back up. Keep your eyes open & if one is located please PM me. Maybe one will be in Tulsa next week or at OVMS-SOS in February. Appreciate the help & input.
Glenn
Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 02 2017 at 10:48pm
Well,
I've got one just like the picture plus some extra springs. I can't find any markings on mine but it seems to work just fine, I tried the tap on a barrel to see if it would follow the threads. Mine has a four flute tap and I have read that the GI models used a six flute tap, according to Jerry Kuhnhausen.
  I have also been told that several countries made these tools besides the US.
  These tools appear to be more in the form of a thread chaser for cleaning up the threads in the gas piston from staking the nut.
  The GI #7160995 gas cylinder re-conditioning tool has a picture in Kuhnhausen's book on page 204.
  All that being said I would like $300 for the one I have including shipping and insurance.
  I can try to send pictures but that seems to be problematic with my new computer and an operator who is seriously deficient in knowledge.
Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2017 at 4:15am
BUMP

well,l I've still got the gas piston tool  just like the one in Dan's picture and it is the same $300 shipped with insuance.
Lancer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2018 at 12:29am
M1 carbine gas piston tool has been sold.
 Post Reply Post Reply