Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unmarked trigger housing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unmarked trigger housing?
    Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 7:25pm
Picked up a import marked S'G' today on a trade at a gun show today, the seller was calling it a Saginaw, but it is marked SAGINAW S'G', has the square ear, ser #3609975. It is a mixmaster, with mostly late parts, the trigger housing has me a little bit confused though, it is a M2 housing but there are no markings on the side that I can make out, the only marking that I can see is an R on the inside bottom between the mag catch and the safety. It also looks like it has casting lines on the bottom of the trigger guard. Any ideas as to who made this trigger housing?

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 7:48pm
Bob Penny contracted Rimer casting to make the castings and were used on National Ordnance, Rowen Becker and Alpine carbines, though not exclusively. this was from 1959 -1965 and I believe the final machining was done at those companies owned by Bob Penny.
In 1969 Intertech had an ordnance contract for trigger housing which were found in the wrap with that R cast mark. completion date of early 1970.

What we have not determined is if there is a way to tell the commercial from the contract housings by the machining done.

Case in point,  yours has the 9 spring cutout. I do not think the Penny companies made M2 carbines so why bother doing the machining?

We need to have owners of Nat Ord, R&B and alpine carbines to check their housings and report the machining marks on R marked cast receivers.

On the flat in front of the trigger guard is the flat machined to remove casting marks?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 21 2017 at 7:50pm
Post war. I do have a cast steel TH in an Iver Johnson, but IJ manufactured those and mine has no mold-marks. I understand that post war, some cast TH's were contracted. Post-Korea early Vietnam era.

New2brass beat me to the punch and has more details.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

On the flat in front of the trigger guard is the flat machined to remove casting marks?
Dan, here is a better picture of what I think you are referring to as the flat, it does look like the casting marks are removed.  Also note the casting marks on each side of the back of mag well.

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2017 at 11:18am
Yep, that is the flat. notice how material was removed. the casting marks you show are consistent with mine. Notice what looks like a crack on the guard. Mine has 3 of them. I believe this is from the material cooling too fast and the material shrinking.

Does yours have the type 5/6 hole opposite the mag catch? Some call oil hole.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2017 at 11:29am
Yes it does have the oil hole.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply