Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fake parts question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 27 2017 at 9:55pm
It looks like two of the three logos you posted have characteristics similar to the flip sight logo, the prototype logo and the logo on my Inland;

1. Letters have serifs.
2. Roof above name is concave (curves downward).
3. Edge of roof (eaves) is thicker.

I see that one is taller than the other (two known types).

The third example you posted is sans serif, has a thin roof edge or eaves and the roof is straight, not concave. It is unfamiliar and only serves to confuse me.

The sight logo looks like the tall one except the "I" and "D" nearly touch the side walls, unlike any of the three example you posted. Actually, the sight logo looks more like the prototype logo than any of the others. Maybe it's a fourth type?

I still say the logo looks legit...but not the sight.
JackP
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2017 at 3:54pm
Looking at my picture and the actual TH of the one with flat roof I will say that the picture came out skewed somehow. All pictures were taken same day, Camera on tripod at a fixed distance and as directly above and centered under camera. Editing was done so as not to stretch or skew.
Only explanation for the aberrations would be the talc I brushed to help pick up the logo.  
However one point I was trying to show is that none of the letters touch the side.

One thing that nobody picked up was the different width of one of the logos.
He are pictures with measurement so you can see what I mean. The tall and squat has been reported. there seems to be at least two widths of the squat logo.

Now to tie this in to another thread. If anyone has Larson, turn to pages 88, 89, and 95.  Hmm, what are the chances of the type 1 , Prototype and a later experimental type 4 brazed housing all having same exact stamp but not matching my pictures? Not very likely. Do the letters in Larson touch? What about orientation and spacing?

So to answer the OPs question, are common parts faked? You decide.

Getting back to the flip site,  a type one band swivel with Inland logo appeared a few years back. I cannot locate my picture. It was also reported in newsletters previously. If anyone has a picture please post, I suspect it will be the same stamp.

So here is the interesting thing, Inland has well recorded every part they made.
According to WB 343 Inland produce the following parts, however briefly:
Barrel
Bolt
Catch, Magazine
Gas Cylinder
Hammer
Housing, Trigger
Nut, Piston
Pin, Firing
Receiver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12