Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Saginaw S'G' question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saginaw S'G' question
    Posted: Sep 19 2017 at 9:26pm
I'm sure this question has been asked over and over and if it's a repeat I apologize. So I understand that S'G' took over Irwin Petersen unfinished m1 carbines and all the serial numbers that were originally IP. My question is would every single IP serial that is now S'G' be built with strictly IP parts, mix of both, or could a lot just been built from the ground up with S'G' parts?   To me S'G' parts are way more common compared to IP parts and they took over a large amount of IP serials.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2017 at 11:09pm
When Saginaw took over IP had about 3500 carbines built. It is not known how many had to be torn down, checked and reassembled with parts that met specifications.
Saginaw used the IP marked parts that passed spec or could be made to pass.

You have to go by barrel date, not serial to figure if it should have more IP parts. Think within 2 months you would expect to see more S'G' marked parts.
I would say the IP is the most commonly corrected carbine as well as the most faked parts.

Some IP parts are More common than some S'G parts thanks to fakes
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 7:38am
Only going off of the CCNL's and what I have seen, but I thought IP's were done in batches? Most if not all parts IP early then a slow progression to little to no IP parts later.

Also wonder if a few SG parts could have been mixed in with late S'G' serial numbers.
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 1:59pm
I was wondering because S'G' took over a lot of serial numbers so I was figuring all the serials couldn't be IP parts. At what time frame would it be seen to have either mix or no IP parts?
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 3:05pm
Originally posted by richg072 richg072 wrote:

I'm sure this question has been asked over and over and if it's a repeat I apologize. So I understand that S'G' took over Irwin Petersen .

No, they took over Irwin-Pedersen.
richg072 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 3:38pm
Auto correct , sorry
 Post Reply Post Reply