Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1 Carbine Ammunition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1 Carbine Ammunition
    Posted: Sep 19 2017 at 6:32pm
Found this as part of a recent acquisition:

1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2017 at 8:23pm
Nice. Never fired any tracer before. Would like to do it at night
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2017 at 8:36pm
Thanks. I find the orange paint on the tip and what looks like red paint on the primers odd. Would think they would be the same color, but first I've seen them.

I asked at the range today about the possibility of testing a few preferably at night.

The answer: No and No
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2017 at 9:30pm
Know any farmers who would let you use their pasture?  Just make sure it good and wet.   
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2017 at 11:15pm
Military ammo used lacquer on primers to seal out water.
think it makes for a bit of difficulty to reload.
(was thinking crimps)
Any reloaded that can elaborate?
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 7:25am
New2brass,

I reloaded WWII military ammo that I shot up in the 1980's, when it was the cheapest option available. I never had an issue with the lacquer seal. Maybe just a little bit more resistance, but not enough that I would have even mentioned it.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 7:30am
@sling. In discussions for that very thing . While I was told no, it did lead to a few leads. Hopefully it pans out.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 8:46am
@Dave,it was crimps I was thinking of.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 10:54am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

@sling. In discussions for that very thing . While I was told no, it did lead to a few leads. Hopefully it pans out.
If you do try to video a few shots.  Would love to see it.  
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 4:34pm
Will do. Nighttime seems to be a sticking point so far but the search continues....
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 4:44pm
Hmmm, watch out for game wardens.  Don't get mistaken as a poacher.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2017 at 9:55pm
New2brass,

Yes, crimps are a different matter. Caliber .223 comes to mind, which give a good deal more resistance upon primer decapping. I have one of the Dillon primer pocket tools mounted on my bench for crimp swaging after decapping.

I don't think any GI Carbine rounds were crimped, but I could be wrong. At least, I don't recall ever encountering crimps on them with the casings I have reloaded. M1 Carbine was the very first cartridge I ever reloaded, followed quickly by .45 ACP when I began reloading in 1984. The M1 Carbine round taught me all the reloading principles that I needed later, including case lubing, case trimming, bullet pulling from "oopsies," case measurements, powder weight auditing, and generally expanded my enjoyment of the hobby. My first press was a Lee Turret (before they had the auto-index), and I've been using my two Dillon 550's, along with a single stage Herter's since 1986.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2017 at 8:50am
We used to shoot tracers by the crate fulls back in the late 60', early 70's into the night sky. Really neat for a youngster. I had a few clips left a few yrs. ago and and was going to shoot them for my grandsons. Most failed to light.
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2017 at 12:27pm
Yeah these look pretty old as well. Hope at least some of them work. Probably will be gone before I get a chance to use them but will snag a few if that is the case.
 Post Reply Post Reply